The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Weight gain
03 Jun 2013, 17:24
:confused:
I have been doing the diet for 2 weeks.
I don't have a problem fasting particularly. I am even looking at the liquid only fast which I have seen n another thread.
No, my problem is that I am actually putting on weight. I am trying to take comfort in the knowledge that the fasting has positive side effects but I really wanted to lose weight as well.
I have not found that my appetite is curbed on the days following a fast, rather I am embracing the advice that I can eat whatever I want. I think that I must be mo than compensating for the food I have not eaten in the previous day.
I suppose I am just going to have to be sensible. I would be really interested in other peoples experiences and any tips would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Weight gain
03 Jun 2013, 18:02
Hi Yo-yoda. I have been 5:2ing for just over a month now and although I haven't gained I did stay the same last week. I knew I would, quite shocked I didn't gain really as I FEASTED a ill bit too much. I guess the eat whatever you want refers to the type of food, not the amount!
Second helpings are a want and not a need!!
Good luck with this woe.
03 Jun 2013, 18:11
Most of us find we get full faster after a fast day, so you can usually eat what want but not as much because of that. Try not to eat quickly and do drink while eating. That way you won't be as likely to eat past being full and find you are happy with smaller amounts of exactly what you want. That is what I have found. Good luck!
03 Jun 2013, 19:55
Losing weight on 5:2 still relies on the basic concept of calories in versus calories out. So if you are eating a surplus of calories weekly, then you WILL gain weight. In order to lose weight on 5:2, you need to restrict your calorie intake on "feast" days to your TDEE (can be found on your Progress Tracker). Even doing that will only allow you to lose ~1 lb. per week. If you want to lose even more than that, you will need to net a calorie deficit on feast days as well by either further restricting your calorie intake or burning more calories through exercise.
4 posts Page 1 of 1