The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
popcorn on fasting days??
05 Jun 2013, 11:18
Hi, so is it okay to have popcorn on fasting days? the ones without butter have like 100 calories and are so filling in 1 bag. some might be 200 kals max so is it fine to eat butterfree popcorn? because ive heard they are slightly healthy. eating popcorn in afternoon and maybe 300 calorie dinner at night? what do u think>>>
Re: popcorn on fasting days??
05 Jun 2013, 11:22
I'm only on my second fast, but I'm under the impression you can spend your 500 calories on whatever you want.
I can't imagine popcorn being filling- but if it works for you!!!

Enjoy!
05 Jun 2013, 11:23
So long as it fits within your allowance for the day, no food is "banned". I think (could be wrong) popcorn is high in carbs though and many of us fasters have gotten to the point where we try to reduce if not eliminate carbs on fast days for the simple reason that we get more fullness bang for our calorie buck. But if a 100 cal bag of popcorn is something that makes your fasting days easier, by all means go for it.
05 Jun 2013, 11:25
I don't think microwave popcorn is very healthy, personally. Air pop is a little better. But I'm a lot more satisfied when my calories aren't carbs.

For example, a large egg is 70 calories. I'd rather have two hard-boiled eggs, as I suspect they'd stick with you a lot longer. Or make a spinach salad with baby spinach, a chopped hard-boiled egg and a bit of diet balsamic vinaigrette - 100 calories.

You're male, so you get 600 calories per day, by the way.

My husband and I also find it's much easier to just save all of our calories for dinner. It's a lot easier to go to sleep if we've had a big meal a few hours earlier. :-)
06 Jun 2013, 13:18
Popcorn is has a moderate to high glycemic index, so basically it's carbs. Like others have said, I find it easier to stay away from carbs on fast days and avoid them making me hungry later. With a higher GI, popcorn risks that. I also remember hearing that popcorn has a substance that increases the appetite. So I would think it's a bit risky to eat it on a fast day.

Having said that, I *lurve* me some popcorn! I have been known to make a meal of it. If you want to eat it, then go for it. Just remember to count the calories with the rest of what you eat for the day.
06 Jun 2013, 13:41
Amen, O'Dell! When my DH is out for dinner I have been known to have it for dinner myself, popped in oil, with salt (a liberal dose) the only garnish needed, while watching Barefoot Contessa on The Food Network. There is something so very satisfying about shoving it in my mouth mindlessly - a rare treat.

Over here they sell it in movie theatres either "salted" or "sweet" - have never been able to get with the sweet thing...
6 posts Page 1 of 1