The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I've just decided to give 5:2 a try. Am doing it together with my husband. Neither of us is technically overweight, (although actually neither of us would mind shifting a few pounds if that happens incidentally), but we decided that this way of eating seemed to have health benefits outside of weight loss that we thought looked really good. We have good fitness (we train at karate about 90 mins 3 times a week).

We've just done our first day of fasting (not easy but maybe not quite as hard as we thought it would be!) We did some light training, but have decided to avoid normal training days to fast, as they can be pretty intense sometimes.

Just wondering if there are others out there who are doing it for the same reasons? Any advice? Or any good things you've noticed health wise having done it for a while?

Welcome to the forum

I and my partner started the diet mainly for health, I was at the top end of the heathly bmi range, she slightly overweight
The main benefits we found apart from losing weight is more energy and less sickness. I tend to have a lot of chest infections over the year but not had one since I started the diet.
I go jogging most days but just do a short jog on fast days. When I tried my normal jog I felt ill for a few hours so now only do a little exercise on fast days. We sometimes find sleeping difficult on fasting nights; go to sleep OK but wake around 3am and can't get back to sleep.
Have a read of the posts for the type of diets people do and the maintainance area. Then take your time and experiment to find something that works for you both
Enjoy the experience :smile:
I'm doing it for both weight loss and other health reasons. If I reach my goal weight, I plan to keep fasting on the same schedule with maybe increased calories on a fast day. We'll see how it goes.

I've noticed increased energy. I also tend to sleep better after a fast. I've been doing it for 2-3 months (I'm not tracking the time carefully since it's more of a lifestyle change for me.)
Thanks guys!

Survived the first fast day on Wed, doing our second today. I was really surprised to find that I woke up on Thursday morning feeling great and not actually feeling hungry.
I've been doing it since September. I didn't need to lose weight but lost lost 8 lbs before I ensured I ate more on feast days to maintain weight. I don't notice any difference in how I feel. My exercise routine is only 30 mins of HIT/aerobic/strength + hour walking many days, and I've found it just the same even on a fast day. I've also stopped breakfast, eating more at lunch so as to extend my fast. A painful joint has cleared up and seems connected with fasting but can't be sure.
5 posts Page 1 of 1