The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
16/8
06 Jun 2013, 17:52
Hi,

What is 16/8 that everyone is talking about??

Karen
Re: 16/8
06 Jun 2013, 18:08
I spent time this morning reading through this thread which should tell you everything you need to know :smile: .
06 Jun 2013, 18:36
I read the posts and can someone tell me if I have this correct?
16:8 is basically fast for 16 hours and then have 8 hours to eat within a 24 hour period??

I try not to eat anything after 7/8pm so my '24 hours' would start at 7/8pm and I would fast from then for 16 hours taking me up till 11/12 the follwing day.Then after then I have that 8 hour period to eat which would then take me back to 7/8pm?

Is correct and do people find doing this on feast days combined with 2 fast days a more effective way to lose weight??

Also in the 8 hour window do we still have to eat our TDEE of just normal, like a lunch,snack and dinner? As I dont think I could consume my TDEE in 8 hours lol

K x
06 Jun 2013, 18:47
Hi Karen
16:8 is a fasting diet in its own right, The 8 Hour Diet, but many of us find we can pack away a surprising number of calories in 8hrs so some are doing 2 fast days of 500cals and doing the 16:8 on non fast days as a simple way of reducing overall calories without the need to count every mouthful.

I would suggest putting your questions on the other thread as they will be picked up by the members actually doing the 5:2 + 16:8.
06 Jun 2013, 19:17
I really dont want to have to combine 2 diets.Think I will stick to the 5:2 at moment then think avout either changing to 16:8 or maybe adding a few days in a week doing 16:2

Karen
06 Jun 2013, 19:46
If its working theres no point. Some of us struggle to achieve a big enough calorie deficit to continue to lose due to health/mobility issues. Its just an option if weight loss comes to a stop.
06 Jun 2013, 20:29
Well so far in a week and 2 days I have lost 1lb.

M next weigh in will be at end of month and then will decide what to do.

Thanks
06 Jun 2013, 20:59
I am a support worker and work long days (13/14 hour shifts) and have roughly 4 days off a week.I have been doing my fasts on 2 of my days off and without knowing it I think I have been doing 16:8 on my other days off as I normally just have a brunch as up lateish.

Is it ok to have a mixture of each??? 2 fast days (2 of my days off) then have 16:8 days on my other 2 days off and then just have normal eating days the other 3 days (I need to eat when on shift to help me stay awake lol)

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Karen
06 Jun 2013, 21:14
Hi Karen,
In my experience you can do whatever variation works best for you. I'm doing a mix of the two at the moment too.
I do my two fast days Mon and Thurs and the other three weekdays I do 16/8.
Weekends are no diet days so I can eat and drink when I want and so far it's seems to be working :)

Happy fasting!
Geraldine x
06 Jun 2013, 21:23
Hi Karen and Geraldine, come and join us on the thread that Vicki posted above. We are doing a mix of 5:2 and 16:8 on the other days. Weekends have been coined 'way hey' :smile: where anything goes :grin: We just thought it would be easier to keep track of each others experiences with a single thread.
10 posts Page 1 of 1