The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Constipation....
10 Jun 2013, 21:42
Gained 3 pounds overnight and I'm sure it's cos I'm bunged up....

Sorry for tmi but anyone else suffer?

Claire
Re: Constipation....
10 Jun 2013, 23:43
There is a really long thread on the subject somewhere
11 Jun 2013, 06:17
you're unlikely to be carrying more than a pound of poo to be honest.

By "constipated" do you mean unable to pass a motion, or just not needing to ?
11 Jun 2013, 06:35
Both - not needed to go for 4/5 days now. Ive always had a sluggish bowel-family failing as my grandma would say.

Rocket fuel required......
11 Jun 2013, 07:07
I have a weetabix on non fast days, with ground linseeds and 25g dried fruit. I'm also a believer in beans... 'nuff said!

:shock:
11 Jun 2013, 08:24
Linseed/flaxseed sprinkled on yoghurt, or in a salad works too.

I have just started making a bread called the life changing bread that is held together with pysillim husk (what is used in products like metamusil) and had linseed in it. It's guaranteed to get you moving, and there is no wheat or dairy in it.

It is calorie intensive because it is all seed an nuts, but if you like bread, and are avoiding wheat like me, I am happy to spend calories on this baby it is very good for you. You don't eat as much as it is very filling and an be topped with loads of goodness.

http://mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the- ... -of-bread/
(Not my blog, this is where I found it)
11 Jun 2013, 09:36
I feel for you!
And you can certainly carry more than a pound of poo, I carries a couple of kilos once!
5:2 caused me serious constipation! I tried everything food-wise but nothing worked, so I turned to pills, syrups etc. What works for me is:
1 TS of lactulose daily
1 senna pill (Boots laxatives contain senna) and 2 Aloe Vera Colax tablets once a week, before a day when I won't have to leave my home.
With the above combination I am staying regular and happy!
11 Jun 2013, 15:10
I can well and truly sympathise with you.. never ever at all have I suffered from this, but since doing this fasting, it is awful:( I have never been in so much discomfort. I took everything and ate everything, and nothing worked. I finally had to go to the Doctors and be put on course of movicol to help. I really don't want to have to take laxatives for the rest of my life! I hope it improves but I feel as though my tummy is constantly bloated :( Hopefully its a one off!
11 Jun 2013, 15:36
Ha ha no worries. It is lovely and keeps one regular.

I make my bread in a bowl too.

Xx
11 Jun 2013, 17:33
Have been having movicol - nothing. Thinking of going back to lactulose which I've had in the past. Going to the nurse to get my blood pressure checked so I'll see what she says. Flaxseed on order......
11 Jun 2013, 17:40
Bookmarked - thank you.
11 Jun 2013, 17:45
Milled flaxseed mixed in natural yogurt has helped, also eating an apple then drinking 500ml of water through the evening.
11 Jun 2013, 17:46
Yep! Definitely get bunged up following fasting days. I put it down to the eggs! I usually have a couple on fasting days. So the only thing really is to make sure the non fasting days are full of roughage and maybe take something gentle from the pharmacy. Most of which has been mentioned above. But just wanted to empathise with you! :wink:
14 posts Page 1 of 1