The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Just bought the set of scales from Lidl (thanks Breadandwine for the heads up) which measures Body Fat, Body Water, Muscle Mass AND Bone Mass.

I am intrigued by the results - it seems to prove what my mother always said that we have 'heavy bones' in our family! I seem to have amazingly heavy bones - 9.9% [normal is 6.0-6.8%, 6.9% is considered high, so I am super high!)

Does that mean that my weight on the scales is a poor indication of what a 'healthy' weight is for people like me? It would appear so if you look at my other readings which show my body fat is much lower than I thought it would be.

I am 5ft 4, 10st 0lbs [down from 10st 5lbs after 5 weeks of 5:2 Mon & Thurs + 16:8 Mon-Fri), age 50 (and with an under active Thyroid due to Hashimoto's) with a current BMI of around 23.90 but still with stubborn fat belly and a 34" waist (52.98% of height) which won't reduce which I felt must mean I have tons of visceral fat. Here are my results:

Body fat: 31.3% [healthy range my age is 23-35%]
Water: 47.2% [healthy range 45-60%]
Muscle: 32.7% [low side of average for my age]
Bone mass: 9.9% [healthy is 6-6.8%]

These are apparently nice results but added up they make a number of 121.1% - surely they should add up to 100%? Could these scales be way off (and a waste of money!) or is there something I don't understand here? Can anyone explain?

In conclusion I guess my mother might have been more accurate if she had said our family have naturally heavy bones AND fat bellies and large waists!

PS. These Lidl scales are great but a bit fiddly to set up and you will need to press quite a few buttons every time you get on the scales. I guess for £17 you can't expect miracles!
I'm no expert but I think that there is water in fat and muscle, so I'm guessing that's included in the Body Fat % and muscle %.

The other thing I've noticed is on the Dukan website when you do the True Weight Calculator. When you put your thumb and middle finger round your opposite wrist then 1. if they don't meet you have heavy bones, 2. if they meet, medium and, 3. if they overlap, thin bones.

I'm not sure what to conclude from that as I have thin bones and a fat belly. Ah well, interesting anyway.
Thanks Wildmissus,

Just measured myself using the Dukan method.

I have medium/borderline thin bones results according to my wrists.

(but I do have tree trunks for ankles!
Hi
i have marfan syndrome which gives long fingers toes etc amongst other symptoms, so my fingers can easily go round my wrist but i am hoping forthe heavy bones option to be true too

jenibem
I am curious too as my sisters have much finer bones than me and I always weighed heavier even at my thinnest. Thought it was my bones heavier. Be interested in nerdy replies here
I'm interested in the nerdy replies too because I was surprised that I had the opposite experience. My scales measure bones by weight. The average for a woman my height is 7lb, but my number is 4lb. I didn't expect the scales to be super accurate but 3lbs? I question it because I've always seemed to have strong bones and teeth.

I hope it's the scales and not that I have brittle bird bones. :confused:
Well just to join in here - I have "small bones" according to the finger test. However I have thunderous thighs, wobbly belly and dimply arms - heyhoe!
7 posts Page 1 of 1