The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
calculating my activity level
23 Jun 2013, 14:23
This question might have asked already but how do I calculate my activity level to get a true TDEE allowance?

I've chosen moderate activity but my idea of moderate might not be the same as somebody else's.

I try to take the dog for a walk at least once a day (20 minutes to half and hour) but sometimes my husband takes her. Sometimes I walk her twice a day.
    I work in the garden (weather permitting) anything between 10 minutes and an hour but some days not at all.
    I walk up and down the stairs quite a few times a day as hubby is disabled.
    Some days I do nothing at all.
    I walk around the supermarket once a week.
    I don't 'work out' or swim or cycle (back problem).

Please can someone let me know if this is light or moderate exercise?
Many thanks
I would call that light exercise.
I'm not sure but when my husband had a health check they asked how much gardening he done and as he dose over 3 hours a week he was listed as active
Thanks Glassmarble and Chipmonkcheeks,

I'm still confused. Moderate activity results in 1709 TDEE and light exercise is 1516 so there's a big difference.
I should have said that we live at the bottom of a hill so dog walking is mostly upwards whichever direction I take.
I would also say light it's light exercise. I only have myself to compare you with....I do four 1hr aerobic classes a week and have put myself down as moderate as I sweat and get out of puff each time. Hope that helps.
I've changed my progress tracker to light exercise although it doesn't feel light when I'm dashing up and down the stairs. Reading through my list, it doesn't sound like much at all. :cry:
Looking at your weight loss so far I'd say that whatever your calculations you are doing it right anyway :smile:
Thank you SianS, until last week I was eating way over my tdee and even over the 2000 calories, bingeing several times a week. I don't calculate the calories on non fast days, I guess them - so I must have been guessing wrong. :grin:
8 posts Page 1 of 1