The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Wine Spritzers
28 Jun 2013, 00:08
HI Everyone!
I started this WOE in March, and have avoided having any alcoholic drinks on my fast days. Before that, I would usually have a glass of red wine with dinner during the week and maybe a few drinks on the weekends. I have enjoyed my fasts, and didn't really think about drinks.
But now that it's summer here in NY, I'm really missing the drinks. Something about all this heat and sunshine makes me want a sparkling prosecco or a bit of sangria. I saw a few people mention spritzers, mixing wine and bubbly water, and I think I might try that. Has anyone tried having a spritzer on a fast day?
Thanks for your ideas!
Re: Wine Spritzers
28 Jun 2013, 01:17
I am in NY so I know what you mean. I don't drink any alcohol on fast days. Dr Mosely really suggests you don't because they are repair days and alcohol is hard on the liver especially. I do have it on other days tho. Love a fresh peach sangria in the summer! :-D
28 Jun 2013, 01:47
My favorite drink at the moment is plum wine spritzers. I haven't had one on a fast day but I do a half fast on Friday where I fast during the day and have a normal dinner and a few spritzers.

I'm not real strict about what I eat on fast days. If I really craved one I'd have it, but I generally don't want to spend the calories on alcohol. Doey's point is a good one. I want the health benefits as much as the weight loss so I'll keep it in mind myself.
28 Jun 2013, 02:01
I used 110 cals for alcohol (2 shots of vodka- with diet coke) on a fast day once. I felt pretty crappy during and after. I was at a gig, and wasn't quite ready to explain my diet to people yet, so I didn't want to stick out too much. I don't think I'll ever do that again.

Having said that, a wine spritzer on a hot NYC summer day sounds NICE. Perhaps if you have it with food you won't experience the pain I did.
28 Jun 2013, 02:40
I prefer to eat my calories on fast days rather than drink them, even though I do enjoy a wine with dinner on other days. Some substitutes I've used are lime and soda, diet cranberry juice (the pink is very festive!), crushed lime wedges in sparkling mineral water, occasionally Coke Zero, and my favourite, diet ginger beer. They're all 20 cal or less. If you serve them in a tall glass with lots of ice and a twist of citrus, you'll hardly feel as though you're missing out.

If you must drink something alcoholic, vodka with diet tonic is a relatively low cal choice.
5 posts Page 1 of 1