The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

61 posts Page 4 of 5
When i reach my ultimate goal of 68kg (trend weight) approx March/April 2014 im going to then have a goal related to exercise not sure what it is yet.. some measure of activity. i guess steps in day. number of times burnt up sweat.. ill research my way into the world of fitness and exercise then. that will set me living a long healthy life.. right weight, right level of activity.

Now howzatt for a plan?
Juliana.Rivers wrote: When i reach my ultimate goal of 68kg (trend weight) approx March/April 2014 im going to then have a goal related to exercise ...

Now howzatt for a plan?

Or start now and reach both goals by January/February?
For those expecting their exercise to increase the speed of their weight loss.
simcoeluv wrote: For those expecting their exercise to increase the speed of their weight loss.

I'm after the reverse -- weight loss has greatly increased the speed of my exercise (running). :grin:
Hi:

The chicken/egg theory exemplified.

I think a lot of people that lose weight then increase their exercise.

But I do wish heavy people would try to do what exercise they can manage given their time availability and physical condition.

But just not expect to lose weight faster as a result and quit when they don't meet their weight loss expectations.
simcoeluv wrote: But I do wish heavy people would try to do what exercise they can manage given their time availability and physical condition.

But just not expect to lose weight faster as a result and quit when they don't meet their weight loss expectations.

Absolutely 100% agreement here. About 3 to 4 stones ago I started exercising without reducing calories and while it certainly helped other things, my weight barely budged. It was also frustrating because all that extra weight on your joints really limits your speed and endurance, and it hurts more! :razz:

It gets better. Don't count on exercise to increase weight loss, but do count on weight loss to make your exercise much more enjoyable.
oh, me too, @BruceE!
Just before I started 5/2ing at the end of October, I went on my first bike tour - 320 km round Kangaroo Island in 6 days - well, it felt like a big achievement on many levels, I had been training for it for around 9 months, riding around 40 - 60 km around 3-4 times a week by september/october. I did drop a few kgs, maybe from 122 down to 120, but that was it! This despite my app telling me I had consumed around 3,000 calories for a 60 km ride! And I wasn't conscious of eating all that much more, but since my whole appetite has changed so much in the last 3 months since 5/2ing, I guess I now have a completely different internal metric for what "all that much" is! Still, I'm very proud of having done the bike tour, it was actually a huge effort, especially for someone of my mass at that point! After all, I was bordering on "morbidly obese" (goodness the medical profession needs to change their language - hello??? there's a person in there!!!) Sounding smug, aren't I? As of yesterday, I crossed a category from "obese 2" to "obese 1" - in case you hadn't heard my trumpeting of that fact from the other string! But the bottom line is, even that much moderate cardio really doesn't result in a weight loss for most people, and may even be harmful over time for the heart - I'm just about to look at "mark's daily apple" for what he writes about "chronic cardio" - I'll post a link if I can find one.

Before you ask, I'm still riding!! And getting PB times consistently, maybe that's weight loss, maybe it's HIIT? But maybe not quite as often, as I find if I do my HIIT one day, I really don't have the energy to also do a decent ride the same day, and I'm thinking I should be doing a bit more weight training, even though I do a reasonable amount in my pilates practice. So that will take a bit more time too! But I will never give up riding - I just love the freedom and the wind in my face!!
I lost 3 stone before my joints stopped hurting just with walking, so I am one of the ones who has started exercising whilst still extremely overweight. BMI of over 39 still. The exercise hasn't lost me any weight, but I have become more trim and my stamina and strength have improved tremendously. I am hoping the exercise will help bust through my insulin resistance too. Even now, 7 weeks down the line I wouldn't go running or even heavy walking because of the possibility of damage to my knee's, but a session with the gym instructor who has built up a plan for me taking into account my medical needs and present level of fitness has helped tremendously.
Awesome, jools7! :smile:

jools7 wrote: I'm still riding!! And getting PB times consistently, maybe that's weight loss, maybe it's HIIT?

I'm sure it's a little bit of both, but as you hang out with more bicyclists than I do, I'm sure you've heard how much money a bike with one less ounce costs...

I've been thinking one of these days I was going to try to run a mile or two with a backpack full of sand that weighs as much as I've lost over the past 18 months just to see what it feels like.
oh, good for you,@Julieathome, yes I absolutely agree about exercise and insulin resistance. It's been the ONE thing that's kept my diabetes under good control these last 11 and a half years, even when (after the initial shock loss of 25 kg) my weight has been stable until 5/2. So glad you have a routine that works for you!! :like: :like:

and @BruceE, thank you so much for your encouragement! My riding friends have been trying to convince me to buy myself a lighter bike, since I so love my cycling, but, as I see it, I'm the rate-limiting step in the "bike plus Julia=heavy" equation, so I don't see the point yet. But I think I might use that purchase as a reward at some point, maybe 25 or 30 BMI? WHEN I get there, as by then the ratio of Julia:bike will be somewhat smaller!! And I love the sand idea, but the pilates teacher in me is cautious, please don't injure your back doing it!!
I was utterly shocked by how little my daughters competition bike weighed when she still had it. It really was ounces, not pounds in weight, I could actually pick it up with one finger. Plus the lighter bikes tend to be better balanced and better geared so there is a smoothness to the ride that a heavier bike just doesn't give.
yes, and I'm looking forward to having one!
@Julieathome I'm going to count to three and if you are not on your way to bed, then there will be BIG trouble...................1..................2.....................nite, nite

Ballerina x :heart:

2 and a half.................
I treated myself to a light bike on reaching BMI 19.5 on the suggestion of a physiotherapist who told me to stop running if I wanted to preserve my arthritic hips. It's great! Also hooked up with my old running/climbing partner after years of not seeing each other. He had got a better version of the same bike (both carbon frames, his a proper racer) and he got his because his surgeon advised him to cycle after his hip replacement. So we go out together and are well matched on the flat, I can drop him on the ups but he whizzes past me on the downs being 50 pounds heavier...
Interestingly, I broke my wrist failing to get out of my pedal clips on one of our rides and he has smashed his artificial-hip femur on a solo ride when he hit a slippery patch on a bend. He is recovering well and will be riding again soon but it just goes to show how dangerous exercise can be...
my bruised tailbone would agree with that last statement, Pete!

I'm another one who has knocked time off my PBs, in my case running 10Ks. I hope I'll knock some off my half-marathon time, too, but it's a hilly course, so we'll see.

Getting back to the original topic: Varady has a study showing that ADF + exercise leads to faster weight loss than ADF alone. I think on fast days exercise was timed to happen shortly before meal time to avoid overeating.
61 posts Page 4 of 5