The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Pms water retention issues
30 Jun 2013, 15:45
I suffer from really bad water retention particularly sore and swollen breasts in the weeks leading up to a period. :frown: It's got worse recently and I know that this might be off fasting topic, but have read that caffeine and wheat can be to blame. Does anyone know whether fasting can help with these symptoms?

Thanks!
Re: Pms water retention issues
30 Jun 2013, 17:12
I have the same issue. I don't *know* that fasting helps, but I suspect it does. I haven't had the problem nearly so bad since starting fasting. Maybe from reducing food intake and thus salt consumption over the month? It's not from the weight loss as I've always had the water retention whether thin or fat.

I also notice that I'm more likely to retain water, period or no, if I overeat on a feed day. I ate a lot the last 2 days and today I woke up with swollen feet and hands. I have my period right now but at a point where the water weight would have gone if that were the cause.
30 Jun 2013, 17:19
I have also noticed water retention and my tum often feels sore and bloated throughout the whole month. I am trying herbal remedies, but so far not really found the answer.
30 Jun 2013, 18:26
I've noted that my PMS water retention has improved (used to gain up to 7 pounds, now it's more like 1 or 2) but I couldn't say if it's because of 5:2 specifically or because of losing weight in general or because I'm getting older (or all of the above). I'm pretty sensitive to salt and if I have a Chinese takeaway I'll always put on 3 pounds and get puffy eyes and shins. Sometimes it's worth it though.... I like fennel and dandelion tea and it's supposed to be diuretic but I don't know if it's any more effective than drinking several mugs of plain water.
4 posts Page 1 of 1