The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Travel advice and 5:2???
03 Jul 2013, 11:16
Hello all!
So I have been away 2 weeks for work, driving 3000 miles across USA, living in the car, hotel rooms and restaurants.
I came back to Canada to find that I had not gained weight (or lost)but 5 days back to normality and 1 fast day in I have dropped another 1.4 lbs!!!
Total now is 22.8 lbs since starting 9 1/2 weeks ago. :like:

I have to go away again to finish the jobs in 10 days so will report back how things go after the next two weeks.

So here is what I did while traveling...

Ok so I have to admit that I did not have a single full fast day while on the road! :frown: It was impossible especially with being away from my family and not having home cooking options, but here is what I did do.

I kept my calories down and would go long periods (supper to supper) a couple of days while doing 12 hour drives (thank goodness for sugar free red bull).

I tried to choose healthier meals, mexican, steak and salad over the fast food options available. On days when I got the 'free' breakfast in the hotels I would have a bowl of bran (to keep me as regular as possible)and try to skip lunch.

Not sure if any one has travel tips but i would love to hear them.
P
Re: Travel advice and 5:2???
03 Jul 2013, 11:35
Thank you for the advice :smile:

I am going to be on vacation for two weeks, but staying with friends, not being on the road. Currently I'm doing 4:3 with liquid fasts, so I'm wondering how best to go about it while on vacation.

I could do there as I do at home, and if my friends ask explain about fasting. They're very tolerant and easy-going people, but also concerned about the well-being of others, and I don't want to worry them. We used to be roommates, and our fourth roommate had never lived outside his parents' home before and had no idea how to eat. He would try to eat nothing but cherries the whole day, for example, because he had a tight food budget and the cherries were expensive. He often suffered a terribly upset stomach, and my friends worried a lot for him.

I could also do a strict veggies and fat day, no starches or protein on my fast days, and they'd probably never notice. Another pro is that I look forward to eating all the wonderful, fresh, seasonal veggies and fruits there. A con is that it will be more difficult for me not to flip the hunger switch, and I don't want to be moody with my friends.

If/when they invite me to have dinner with them, I plan to gratefully accept fast or no fast.
03 Jul 2013, 11:48
If you are flying it is usually easy to skip meals as they (on the whole) are pretty average when you are travelling in economy (coach). A lot of airlines can now organise a low calorie meal if you order it before your flight. The meal will usually be over 500/600 cal but you can pick your way through it.

Do 16:8 daily instead providing you not go crazy with your cals - helps if you can do at least one 500/600 cal fast but not essential.

Carry bouillon cubes with you, I need half a cube in a mug of water for a nice hot drink if travelling internationally then just pick them up at your arrival country.

If you are tempted by the mini bar and snacks on offer in the room ask reception to have them removed.

When ordering a lighter meal (usually includes salad) I ask for any dressing/cheese/croutons (any of the danger foods) to be placed on the side - that way I can choose how much I eat. Alternatively ask to replace creamy dressings with lemon juice on salad. This helps keep the cal count down when you are trying to do a 500/600cal day.

Most (pretty much every) restaurant can always grill chicken/fish for you. Providing you stick to a small portion (the palm of your hand - not including fingers) and a salad or stir fry you have a reasonably low calorie meal that probably won't go over 500/600cals.

What I am a little worried about is that I tend to get tired travelling and it is easy to want to eat (especially all the wrong foods) to pick myself up. I don't drink caffeine containing drinks after 3-4pm as they will keep me awake and I am a bad sleeper as it is and the last thing I need is to miss an early morning flight or be late to a seminar. So what I am wondering is what do people do to keep themselves all nice and energetic through the afternoon while travelling and fasting.

I hope we get a lot of comments in this thread b/c from now until the end of the year I have a fair bit of travel lined up.
05 Jul 2013, 11:41
Thanks for the posts guys and the tips!
4 posts Page 1 of 1