The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all

Been using the fasting plan for a little over 4 weeks now and so far happy with the results. What I do struggle with are my feasting days, I find it hard to get anywhere near 2000 calories purely due to the fact I'm eating healthier. My meals now consist of fresh fruit and veg, I avoid processed foods and ready meals.

I have read that not hitting 1500 - 2000 calories on feasting days is counter productive as the body can go into storage mode and it will be more difficult to shed lbs.

My question is does anyone have any diet plans that include meals higher in calories but are still healthy. I have taken more notice of my calorie intake for fasting days and I've come to the realisation that 2000 calories = a lot of food, I'm guessing normal days should include a good breakfast, maybe a mid morning snack, a good lunch, afternoon snack then a good dinner.

I'd appreciate any advice, diet plans or even book recommendations that I can use to help me.

Thanks.
Adding some protein and fats / oils is the first thing that comes to mind, fruit & veg isn't really a complete diet. How are you with fish ?
Hi Henners,

One good way of upping your calories AND stimulating that highly sort after loss of tummy fat is to get some creamed coconut into the mix. It's a great inbetween meals healhty high cal snack. Creamed coconut (the solid block of compacted coconut flesh) is cheap as chips and REALLY good for you!
Avocados are pretty calorific but good for you. Also, cheese.
By the way, do you know your TDEE? Some people here have been surprised to find out how low theirs is. There's a calculator in the progress tracker and also plenty of them on the Internet.
Thanks for the ideas, it's very much appreciated, PhilT, I love fish, any kind. Where would I find creamed coconut?

Cheers guys
To be honest MaryAnn I didn't even know what TDEE stood for but a quick google has solved that. I know at the moment it will be very low, car to and from a desk based job. My intention was to change my lifestyle in steps, 1st step start and stick to the 5:2 plan, 2nd step to work in some exercise, I intend to start walking/running in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping I will then see a few more lbs fall off. Ultimate goal is to get to the gym 2-3 times a week and run twice a week.

Thanks
Actually sedentary TDEEs vary a lot between people, though obviously exercise raises it. We burn a lot of calories just existing. It depends on age, weight (meaning it will go down as you lose weight), gender. It's worth entering your numbers so you know what calorie intake you're shooting for on feast days. Though, if you're losing weight, it's not worth worrying about.
Henners wrote: Thanks for the ideas, it's very much appreciated, PhilT, I love fish, any kind. Where would I find creamed coconut?

Creamed coconut at Tesco that and another brand (Blue Dragon) in the ethnic specialities / world foods or similar zones.
TDEE in a nutshell:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6600
Nuts! A handful of Brazil nuts - high in selenium (good for mood) and also high in calories!
11 posts Page 1 of 1