The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I have noticed a few people say they are finding that they are grinding their teeth, how many people is this happening to?

I don't grind my teeth, but I do find that I rub the tip of my tongue repeatedly against the back of my front teeth. Its so bad that I need to use a teething gel (bonjela) to soothe it enough and numb it enough, so I can get to sleep at nights.

Any ideas why these habits, and maybe others happen?
Stress/tension causes me to grind my teeth. I do it all the time not just on 5:2. Is it possible that those having the problem now are more tense due to a new WoE?
I ground and clenched my teeth for well over 20 years. Dentists tried everything including a splint (plastic tooth shield). Nothing worked to stop the awful headaches etc including large quantities of Paracetamol, 2 Syndol used to put me to sleep but aching still remained when I woke up. Then I was lucky enough to get a dose of Trigeminal Neuralgia!!!!!!!
One of the most painful things you can get according to Google.
I was put on Amitriptyline (an anti depressant that may help TG).
I was one of the lucky ones for whom this worked after about a week.
Another week or so I stopped clenching, grinding and 20 years of suffering stopped.
My doctor has tried to take me of the Amitrip. I've warned him I would hunt him down!!!! :wink:
A small dose 10 mg twice a day is all that's required.
All my life I used to think I didn't suffer from stress, some of this is anxiety. Worrying about the children and massive business borrowings etc. Normal stuff.
I recommend trying it. Speak to your doc. using my example.
The only side affect seems to be sunburning a lot quicker!
Just found this thread while doing a search. I've noticed I clench my teeth on fast days. Has anyone else noticed this?!
I have also been prescribed Amitryptyline 10mg to take at night, not as an antidepressant but because a side effect is nerve pain reduction. I have spondylosis in my neck & had difficulty getting to sleep because it was so uncomfortable but Amiitryp helps. Such a small dose doesn't conflict with other medication & my GP advised can be taken indefinitely.
I discovered that I clench my teeth recently. I don't think that I did it before 5:2 or I hadn't noticed.
The dentist told me that it is because of stress and I've already done a bit of damage on one tooth. I started sleeping with my mouth open, intentionally and it seems to work because that certain tooth doesn't ache as bad as it did before.
I thinks its due to stress mainly not really this WOE. My husband has been a teeth grinder for decades and any day now I expect to see little sticks where teeth once were.
Going to bed oh-so-hungry can be rather stressful though...
8 posts Page 1 of 1