The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
My husband and I have been 5:2ing for about 6 weeks now. Generally doing really well with it and we're starting to find a good way for each of us to manage it.

However, hubby is having a real issue with energy levels the day after a fast. Whereas I tend to struggle on a fast day, he struggles the day after. This is a particular problem as we usually fast on a Friday and go training on a Saturday, and he's finding it really tough going.

There isn't really a better day for us to fast (we usually do Tues/Fri or Wed/Fri depending on commitments, so if we are to stick to 5:2 Friday is a must). Is there anything anyone can suggest to help improve energy levels the day after? Should he eat differently the day before a fast?

I have wondered whether he should get up earlier on Sat to have breakfast, although tips on what to eat for breakfast would be good.

Short of going down to 6:1 (which he is really keen not to do) I'm a bit lost for ideas, but he is getting a bit worried!
When you say you are going training on Saturday, what are you doing? Running? Gym? Please provide some info.

As to eating... getting up a bit earlier and having a meal - perhaps toast with peanut butter and a banana, would probably be a good thing. Or start finding foods that he can tolerate during his workout. I know some of my marathon friends do very well with those Kellogg breakfast cereal/fruit bars mid-run since they are moist and go down fairly easily.
I find drinking lots of water helps me when I am low on energy; also the worst thing I can do is give into it; rest and little activity. I find it best to stay active and the low energy feeling passes.
I am only talking about fast days; I tend to feel energised on the day after fasting.
I have two suggestions. One, is 1/2 tbsp coconut oil. Is he getting any good fats in his diet? I have read and personally found using coconut oil keeps you feeling full and is energizing. Second, a whey protein shake with kale/spinach and apple/berries mixed in. Not good to look at but super protein, vitamin and mineral charged.
I started 5:2 at the end of April, fasting Mondays and Thursdays mostly. I had no trouble doing vigorous exercise on my fast days, but had legs like lead the day after, even with breakfast. About a month ago though, I noticed I felt different the morning after a fast and was able to do Body Step (a pretty fierce Les Mills exercise class) without breakfast (accidental initially - I 'forgot' because I wasn't hungry and felt great...!).

As you will know from the range of experiences reported on here, it varies from person to person, but you may well notice a change soon. Otherwise, if training is important I would adjust my fast days and see how that works. Good luck :)
Thanks all.

The training we do is karate, about 90-120 mins on a Saturday morning. Exactly what we do varies, but generally involves some cardio, some endurance ('spirit') training, and some strength training, and can be quite intense.

Aperitif, thanks, that sounds similar to what he is experiencing. We were saying the other day that it could just be a case of getting used to it, so we will stick at it and see if it gets better!

Peanut butter will be out (he hates it and won't even let me sit next to him if I am eating it lol) but bananas sound good, and I will suggest the shakes idea too and see if he wants to try that.
What you're really looking for is an easy source of protein. So a bit of cheese might be a good alternative.
prairiechicken wrote: Thanks all.

The training we do is karate, about 90-120 mins on a Saturday morning. Exactly what we do varies, but generally involves some cardio, some endurance ('spirit') training, and some strength training, and can be quite intense.

Aperitif, thanks, that sounds similar to what he is experiencing. We were saying the other day that it could just be a case of getting used to it, so we will stick at it and see if it gets better!

Peanut butter will be out (he hates it and won't even let me sit next to him if I am eating it lol) but bananas sound good, and I will suggest the shakes idea too and see if he wants to try that.

Well done for that. I'd lve do karate or some form of self defense as I'm not a big bloke.

I wouldn't compromise that with the diet and I'm highly surprised youi need to diet if you're doing some this vigorous.

If it was me Id work the 5;2 around the karate, maybe relax the rules a little to make it all work?
I have the same experience as Aperitif - it gets better.
In the beginning I was really weak the day after a fast and my stomach was very upset.
Now I feel more normal, my stomach seems to have normalized and I can do intense exercise. I would say it took 8-10 weeks before it shifted.
Thanks so much guys, that's helpful. And really good to know that the feeling may shift in time!

David F go for it! I took up karate about 3 years ago, and honestly wish I had done it years and years ago. I always thought martial arts were for other people and that I'd be no good at it, but gave it a shot because my son had taken it up, and then my husband, and everyone kept on at me to try it too. I have never looked back, and absolutely LOVE it. The lower back pain I've had since pregnancy improved within weeks due to better core strength, it's fab for stress busting, and the mind,body,spirit ethos suits me down to the ground.

Have a look at www.iogkf.com and see if there is a Gojy Ryu dojo in your area. It's a worldwide organisation for Goju Ryu Karate-do. This is the style I do, and it's primarily all about self defence, it's NOT a competition/sporting style which has lots of advantages as far as I'm concerned:
- non competitive which means you can learn/train at your own pace, and you're not in competition with any of your fellow students. I've trained in dojos in the UK, Canada and the US (as IOGKF members we find ourselves welcomed into other IOGKF dojos all over the place, it's like a big family!) and have only ever found other students thoroughly supportive and friendly and helpful.
- emphasis on self defence which means if you can't kick above your head it is no big deal - if you can only kick as high someone's knee caps you've learned an effective technique for looking after yourself. You learn what is effective for you. You'll also learn lots of close quarters techniques which is also good for self defence.

In terms of the 'diet' - we aren't doing it to lose weight, other than a few extra pounds we gained on a recent trip to Canada (too many pancakes and maple syrup), but for general health. I had a couple of scares earlier this year which thankfully turned out to be nothing serious but were enough to make me aware of my own mortality. I suspect that once the extra pounds have come off, if we continue to lose, we will adjust and either do 6:1 or up the calories on the fast days a bit.
10 posts Page 1 of 1