The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Food stock
11 Jul 2013, 07:08
I live in Norway, a country where people stock up on food when there are sales and in my case local Singaporean food sent by my mum.

I was looking for my Chinese chicken stock to make chicken rice when I realised that my freezer was full of food that I have made, frozen and to be eaten for my work breakfast/lunch.

I have chappati, several bags of American pancakes, 4 portions container of either beef or chicken curry, several containers of chili paste, 2 containers of rendang. I have not taken into account raw frozen items that needs cooking before I can eat them!

At this rate, due to my fast, it will take me forever to eat them up!
Re: Food stock
11 Jul 2013, 07:23
Think of the money saved by not needing to go food shopping :grin:
11 Jul 2013, 12:12
I'm the same - I haven't got the balance right yet, I have too many leftovers, I'm being forgiving on myself if I end up having to throw the odd thing away, while I adapt.

I love food shopping, markets, independent shops, just need to reign it in a bit, now I'm eating less.
11 Jul 2013, 13:56
We have a company in the UK that sells bankrupt stock, over orders, change of labeling and stuff that's past its 'sell by date' (but not past its eat by date, in British law there is a difference). I use them fairly regularly, I now have enough catering size bags of bread mix to last the family for 6 months, at least (£1.99 a bag). 12 bottles of guacamole (I'm the only one that eats it), 9 Christmas puddings, curry pastes, enough boulion mixes to last a restaurant 3 months (ooops), and loads of cut price shampoos and cleaning stuff. Along with cakes, naan breads, crisps, chocolates, chutneys, spices and sauces.

So it isn't just a Norwegian trait, us British are bad for it as well. Then there are the car boot sales as well.
11 Jul 2013, 14:27
Do it here too in the States. You have to be a smart shopper. Around here the grocery has buy one get one free so I buy one for immediate use and one for stock up. That way when there is no more money for food or snow storm I'm all set.
5 posts Page 1 of 1