The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Sugar hangover!
11 Jul 2013, 16:17
After reading the threads on sugar and buying and reading the two books mentioned I decided to try and cut my sugar intake. I have been eating 2 squares of Lindt 85% chocolate if I needed chocolate and avoiding ready made sauces, biscuits, cakes and only eating fruit in moderation etc. After about a month of decreased sugar consumption on Saturday night I ate some fun size chocolate bars. On Sunday I woke up feeling dreadful; headache, nausea, achy and general fuzziness. I wondered if this might be down to the sugar but didn't know. Anyway last night I indulged again in more fun size chocolate and again this morning I woke up feeling awful. I know this isn't a very scientific test but it has served to convince me that I need to steer clear of sugar as much as possible.
Re: Sugar hangover!
11 Jul 2013, 17:33
Wish I had the same problem - sorry, that sounds deeply unsympathetic, but I could eat up a sweetie shop and still have another chocolate. I don't buy it now, except for the really intense stuff, and have asked everyone I can think of to please not get me chocolates. I cannot have a lovely box of chocs and just have a few, I'm afraid. I scoff them until they're finished. I don't know if your unpleasant reaction was to the chocolate or the unaccustomed sugar or maybe just a summer bug but if it stops you choccie feasting it's all good! :grin:
11 Jul 2013, 18:19
I'm with you, dhana! I wish my body would react like that to chocolate! Even if I give it up for awhile (various other diets, of course) it never makes me sick, just makes me want more!

HOpe you feel better LOULOU!
11 Jul 2013, 18:28
If I have too much in the way of carbs, so sugar and candy play havoc too, I get hot flushes as if I am menopausal. It only happens when I have too many carbs and no other time.
So if I eat lots of carbs through the day such as toast or cereal for breakfast, pasta or a sandwich for lunch, a candy bar crisps/chips for a mid afternoon snack and a dinner with rice or potatoes with a glass of wine, I'm up half the nigh having cold showers to bring my hot flushes under control.

It doesn't have to be in the meals, a large mars bar will do it as well, even if I have low carbed it all day.
12 Jul 2013, 06:09
Yeah, sugar hangovers definitely happen to me, too! Also eating sugar makes me cranky. Really should stay away. My pitfall is home-baked goods since I love baking and have recently learned how to make ice cream, too. Very dangerous.
5 posts Page 1 of 1