The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
exercise water retention & TOTM
11 Jul 2013, 18:43
I didnt believe that you could retain water through exercise although I did believe that TOTM could cause a little increase in weight. however, last week I re-introduced running and ran a little run of a mile, & then 2 x mile & a half. anyways, I have a hip injury which has just been diagnosed as bum muscle not kicking in when I run & causing quads & hamstrings to do the work.

2 weeks ago I hit goal. 11.3lbs & was over the moon.

then it all started. 29 june I was 11.2lb. 2 days later I was 11.6lb. after another fast back to 11.3. phew. then that dreaded TOTM which co-incided with me back out running. I managed to go back up to 11.6.6lb. a massive jump for what seemed like no reason, especially as I was watching what I was eating. I dont remember having any increase with TOTM before but I suppose I never noticed as I wasnt weighing myself & my belly was a lot bigger. the hip area has been in a lot of pain so I am also contributing some of the increase to the water retention to repair muscles.

I nearly fell off the fasting wagon. thankfully there was a couple of posts about others gaining weight & when it was explained that I would have had to of eaten an extra 3500 calories somewhere to have gained just 1lb of that increase I felt a bit better.

fasted yesterday. jumped on scales today & back to 11.2.8. thats a drop from 11.6.4 from yesterday. belly is gone. which is a great relief. didnt like going back to feeling fat days & finding my cover up dresses.

so, all in all, this WOE really does work. I have also noticed that I am a bit more aware of over-eating & wanted to say thankyou for other posts. without them I would have gone back to food all day long :)
Glad you are all sorted out, now to just get your hip in gear. lol ;)
Hi amberenchanted.
I'm with you on the increase at torn and exercise.... Can be so frustrating - particularly when you know you've done everything right and its not reflected on the scales!!!!
Re. Your hip injury - I have the same problem - got up to running 12km and felt great - then pain kicked in and I haven't run since (nearly 2 years ago as I was do frustrated).
What are you doing to overcome it? Would love to hear - $100's with my physio didn't fix and I need some ideas!
Went to sports physio and my hips, hamstrings and quads are doing all the work instead of the glutes/bum muscle. They got me to stand up with one leg behind the other, so toes to heel, but hip width apart and to straighten my leg. Left leg, this movement done with bum muscles. Right leg, quads kick in to move it and lower back which then twists my pelvis. I've got Pilates type exercises to do. And pelvic floor needs strengthening along with the core muscles below belly button that did not knit back together after having kids (I have 5). They said that getting on a bike would help to engage the right muscles.

have also started reading chi running by Danny dreyer so will hope to take on board some of those exercises as his teachings are supposed to result in pain free running. Chi running is all about running from your core from what I've read so far.

Physio said it is not a quick fix. Am sorry to hear you had to give up running. That's a real shame. What did you replace running with? I can use the cross trainer but it's just not the same buzz xx
Haha - replaced it with not much..(1 of the reasons for starting 5:2).... Walking the dog but as you say it's not the same. At least now I can switch my glutes on - something I couldn't do on lh side of body previously. I'm hoping to start again - have a new puppy who is just about old enough to run & plan to build up slowly. Just need to exercise some restraint
Best exercise is laying on your side with head resting on your arm. Bend leg that is on the floor so that heels are in a straight line with your body and knee forward. then straighten out the top leg. Hand on hip to stop it wobbling then lift the straight leg up with foot facing forward. Hold for10 seconds then keeping the leg raised rotate the foot so that it points to the floor. Apparently this is the best exercise for activating the glutes. Hope that all made sense. Runners world site lists other exercises for glute strength. Good luck.shelley xx
6 posts Page 1 of 1