The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone
Just a general question, causing discussion between OH and myself.
I say that a fast day starts after the evening meal the night before...say 7-8pm. OH says its midnight till breakfast, 36 hours later with just the 500 cals in between
Admittedly not an earth shattering question, but I would welcome any comments
TIA
Lorna
It starts when you want it to start, as long as there is only the 500kcals during the time period. This diet adapts to you, not you adapting to the diet. For some people they can start at 7pm after their dinner, but others need supper to be able to sleep at night.

I try to start after dinner, but some days it just doesn't work out that way, but midnight is my absolute cut off point. I last then till lunch time the day after the fast day.
From 7pm tonight unti 7pm tomorrow I will only have water, lemon and ginger tea, maybe a decaf coffee.
After a meal of tuna and salad, keeping under 375 calories, including a hot choc drink before bed, that will be it until after 7am Tuesday morning.
Good luck.
I have a shed load of weight to lose so I go from 7pm tonight until 7pm tomorrow then have about 550cal meal then nothing until lunch next day but only do this to try and shift it. But its so flexible you can do basically anyway to suit yourself. Good Luck :clover: Sue
Well, mentally fasting starts from when I wake up on the morning of a fast day, from then until I go to bed I only eat 500 cals. Technically though fasting is not eating, so it really starts from when you last eat and runs till you start eating normally again 36ish hours later. In my case I usually eat at say 8 then not again until dinner the following evening, where I eat 500 cals, then nothing until breakfast the following after 9.
I consider it starting after my dinner meal the night before a fast. I routinely remind my OH not to "snack" after dinner or in the middle of the night as we are in "fast" cycle. He eats about 100 for breakfast and then we both have the 500 on the evening of the fast day...with no snacks until the next morning.
lornameg wrote: Hi everyone
Just a general question, causing discussion between OH and myself.
I say that a fast day starts after the evening meal the night before...say 7-8pm. OH says its midnight till breakfast, 36 hours later with just the 500 cals in between
Admittedly not an earth shattering question, but I would welcome any comments
TIA
Lorna

7am (or pm) when I leave work.

Strictly speaking may be 4 o clock ish as that's when last break is. I don't stint on that last break as I can't afford to run out of steam whilst at work.
Same same as most have posted; after tea on the night before. Sometimes that can be quite late, nearly nine- ish. Then nothing until tea and I try to push that to as near 24 hours as I can, but if it's been nineish the night before it's a bit sooner, then nothing until breakfast at about nine-ish again. Really need breakfast and just can't go for the later ...
I start after dinner the night before, whenever that happens to be. I don't snack after dinner, so that doesn't come in to it, but I may well have a couple of glasses of wine.

I don't count hours, just days!
Swedey wrote: I start after dinner the night before, whenever that happens to be. I don't snack after dinner, so that doesn't come in to it, but I may well have a couple of glasses of wine.

I don't count hours, just days!

I'm the same as you Swedey basically from when I got up this morning until I get up tomorrow morning I try to only have 500cals.
This was never a problem for us, until other folks raised it, :grin: but it works out like this,

Our evening meal will be over around 7pm, though occasionally OH will have a milky drink, I never eat after that time - at home. Breakfast is a moveable 'feast' somewhere between 7 and 8am.

When we started 5:2 we just carried on that pattern, which apparently means we have a 36 hour fasting time, unless OH has a milky drink.
When I go to bed or else it would feel like 5:2 I/2-but I don't often snack in the evening, I just like to know I can.
I like to think it starts after the last thing I eat the night before - usually something snacky around 8pm. Then I keep below 500 calories until breakfast the day after fast day - which is not until after 10 - the dog has to be walked first otherwise we have a nutty spaniel on our hands. So that's well over the 24 hour mark.
I understand the question and had the same question early on and did a bit of research on it Many of us start counting hours right after our dinner the night before, but technically the body is not in fast mode until 4-5 hours later since it is still digesting the dinner you ate and is not actually in a fasted state and getting hte benefits of being in repair mode. But the length of fast times varies greatly. For actual times of not eating (besides the fasting calries), I shoot for about 39 hours which net about 35 after the digestion of that last evening meal.

I think anything over 30 hour net should be the goal.
14 posts Page 1 of 1