The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
... interesting article in one of our Sunday papers yesterday. It's almost pound for pound the story of my last 7-8 weeks. http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/ ... od-for-you
Thanks for sharing that Richncol, good article! :like:
Made me smile. True when you start it's so not fair that everyone else gets to eat delicious calorific food all the time except you, (or so it would seem) but it passes and you do look forward to fasting and you do feel better and lighter for it.

Go 5:2!
Thanks that's a good article, and so true.
SO TRUE

Particularly this bit:

"I'm delighted to discover that fasting is considerably less painful than traditional dieting, which just feels like a blanket of misery descending over the intensely pleasurable human activities of cooking and eating. Intermittent fasting is more a form of delayed gratification, in that any deliciousness you forgo on fasting days can always be eaten tomorrow, making this the perfect eating plan for food lovers who'd gladly suffer major privations twice a week so they can hook into butter or bacon the rest of the time."
Very good article - I like the bit about hunger hanging around a bit, then b*****ing off!
Yes, great article. I'm finding the hardest thing is to fall asleep on the fast days. Anyone else experience the same?
I had that too featherlungs, it's one of the reasons my husband and I moved all of our eating to the evenings. We now don't consume any calories until 6pm and then whatever we don't eat for dinner we have as a bedtime snack at 10pm. That makes it a lot easier to go to sleep. We also find that we don't get as hungry during the day. Eating seems to sort of turn on our appetites.
Great to see its hit New Zealand too!

Love Grant's writing about his experiences. Made me laugh

I became so hungry that my subconscious went a bit Salvador Dali on me. I was plunged without warning into alarming surrealist reveries: I imagined a wood pigeon in the nearby park plucked, basted, crispy and golden, yet still cooing upon the branch; someone's passing corgi looked like a rolled lamb shoulder taking a stroll while wrapped in a coarse fur rug.

But then, thankfully, things settled down. I've since discovered that endless infusions of coffee, herbal tea and miso broth dispatch the worst hunger pangs. Indeed, given that I've done my utmost to avoid experiencing it for years, I've been amazed at how transitory a sensation hunger is. It comes on in a wave, sticks around for 10 minutes, then buggers off again. Even so, there's no denying the relief when that evening meal eventually finally arrives on fasting days. I imagine the final meal of a death row convict pales in comparison, even though my fasting day dinner is just a few square centimetres of steamed fish balancing atop a mountain of streamed broccoli.

I'm delighted to discover that fasting is considerably less painful than traditional dieting, which just feels like a blanket of misery descending over the intensely pleasurable human activities of cooking and eating. Intermittent fasting is more a form of delayed gratification, in that any deliciousness you forgo on fasting days can always be eaten tomorrow, making this the perfect eating plan for food lovers who'd gladly suffer major privations twice a week so they can hook into butter or bacon the rest of the time.

After nearly 20 years, a change has finally come. Food is no longer some peculiar amalgam of consolation, addiction and mistress. It is, at last, just food.

hey funny
Just had another read of this - it reads as good the second time, as the first! I wonder how he is getting on? He's certainly better than a lot of the so-called journalists who've been doing articles in the UK recently, where a bit of a backlash seems to have started.
12 posts Page 1 of 1