The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, we're all away on Monday for the day and I'm packing a picnic for the family. I need something as well as the usual salad to get me through the day. I'll pack carrot sticks and cucumber sticks and hummous, boiled egg, ham etc but I know all the kids' stuff will be tempting so think if I pack something tastier I can reach for that might keep me on track. Any ideas? Thanks xx
if you like fish you can make a sort of pate with light cream cheese mashed up with canned fish of your choice and add dill, parsley and lemon rind and a bit of lemon juice and black pepper. chill really well and let it set in little ramekins - nice and tastes quite grown up without a lot of cals.
Lots of fresh berries to pick at and a pot of low fat high protein natural yogurt (maybe with a drizzle of honey if you like it a bit sweeter.

Something salty might be olives or jalapenos, gherkins, that sort of thing.
Hi MaryOh why dont you change your fast day and enjoy the picnic along with the family
Last fast day I made a tabbouleh style thing with carorees cauliflower rice instead of bulgur wheat & v little olive oil - it tasted great!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1098
There's also a quinoa & feta salad recipe that I saw in recipes section that might work!
Enjoy your picnic.
I do steamed brocoli and raw cauliflower and radishes to dip as well as carrot sticks etc, and a second dip of low fat yoghurt and chives, it's surprisingly filling.

In terms of treats I second the berries, and I can recommend roasted chickpeas as a tasty nibble instead of crisps - you can buy them in holland and baretts I think or you can make them quite easily.
thanks everyone - I think berries, feta and roasted chickpeas could be the winners (as I dont like fish unfortunately - wish i did, and have tried it repeatedly, but just dont like it.

Carol I'm on my holidays as of now until 29th July and I'll find an excuse to not fast everyday if I'm not strict with myself and stick to the usual Mon/Thu fasting... I think the day we're away will be one of the easier ones to stick to the fast anyway as we'll be too busy travelling and chatting to worry about eating until we actually stop and sit down.... I'll just make sure I have bottles and bottles of water with me for the day!
Spicy tuna salad (delicious on sarnies, ryvita or on its own)

1 tin tuna
1 deseeded green chili
Handful of coriander
2/3 spring onions
Lots of salt and pepper
Mayonnaise to taste

The chili, onions and coriander can all be altered to taste and its very yummy and filling.

And just noticed you don't like fish! I'm definitely taking a break from posting till I've eaten some food. My brain just isn't working today.
8 posts Page 1 of 1