The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
5:2 Article in the UK Press
18 Jul 2013, 10:56
Just seen this on another site and I am so annoyed!!!

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/18/fast-or-f ... e-3886259/

This is a quote from the article:

"You are limiting your energy levels and your nutrient intake as certain nutrients, such as the water-soluble vitamins (B and C), should generally be consumed on a daily basis, as they are excreted.’

^^ This is absolute b0ll0cks (please excuse my language) 3-4 months ago I went to the doctors with serious fatigue and other indicators that would have suggested I was anaemic, I had various blood test and it came back that I have vitamin B deficiency, I was advised to change my diet and come back for further bloods if I wasnt feeling any better - bearing in mind I was NEVER told what to eat to help by my doctor, I had to find this information out myself. So skip forward 3-4 months later and here I am 4 weeks into the 5:2 diet and feeling energetic and happy, I wake up feeling good and not so tired that I just want the world to go away, I will happily prove by having a blood test that my B Vitamin intake has improved.

They have gotten the wrong end of the stick about this WoE, I think they think anyone who embarks on this without the proper sound knowledge of those that have gone before us will basically live on lettuce on fast days and burgers and junk food on non fast day. Yes if you're that stupid you will end up with other problems like vitamin deficiencies etc. but not if you are making the right choices about what you put into your bodies on either fast or normal days.... it makes me so annoyed that everyone is tarred with the same brush - we're not all morons....

Sorry rant over!
Re: 5:2 Article in the UK Press
18 Jul 2013, 11:17
Thanks for this link... I thought it was total nonsence, but gave me a good laugh..

"‘On the two low-calorie days, there could be signs of lethargy, headaches and feelings of weakness for some people."

On my second fast day of the week, off to the gym after work for 2.5 hours of cardio and weights!

"enough energy to exercise regularly.’"

"You are limiting your energy levels and your nutrient intake as certain nutrients, such as the water-soluble vitamins (B and C), should generally be consumed on a daily basis, as they are excreted"

Isn't aerobic exercise (and hence most activity) derived from burning Fat (the most efficient energy store, which is why it takes so much work to get rid off?

Perhaps this article is just a wind-up?
18 Jul 2013, 11:20
If you look at the responses underneath Moogie's on their case!
18 Jul 2013, 11:42
Awesome stuff! I think so much rubbish is spoon fed to us by the media and none of it is ever backed up with any evidence.

I bet on the next page there was a picture of some supermodel looking woman that we're all supposed to aspire too.... yeah I am a cynic lol
18 Jul 2013, 11:46
daisykitten wrote: Just seen this on another site and I am so annoyed!!!

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/18/fast-or-f ... e-3886259/

This is a quote from the article:

"You are limiting your energy levels and your nutrient intake as certain nutrients, such as the water-soluble vitamins (B and C), should generally be consumed on a daily basis, as they are excreted.’

^^ This is absolute b0ll0cks (please excuse my language) 3-4 months ago I went to the doctors with serious fatigue and other indicators that would have suggested I was anaemic, I had various blood test and it came back that I have vitamin B deficiency, I was advised to change my diet and come back for further bloods if I wasnt feeling any better - bearing in mind I was NEVER told what to eat to help by my doctor, I had to find this information out myself. So skip forward 3-4 months later and here I am 4 weeks into the 5:2 diet and feeling energetic and happy, I wake up feeling good and not so tired that I just want the world to go away, I will happily prove by having a blood test that my B Vitamin intake has improved.

They have gotten the wrong end of the stick about this WoE, I think they think anyone who embarks on this without the proper sound knowledge of those that have gone before us will basically live on lettuce on fast days and burgers and junk food on non fast day. Yes if you're that stupid you will end up with other problems like vitamin deficiencies etc. but not if you are making the right choices about what you put into your bodies on either fast or normal days.... it makes me so annoyed that everyone is tarred with the same brush - we're not all morons....

Sorry rant over!

Daisykitten, the paragraph you quoted was by a Dr Emma Derbyshire from the Health Supplements Information Service, which might explain why she could be biased towards the use of supplements. I totally agree with you, if you read up on nutrition, eat healthy stuff, I don't see that this diet could possibly harm anyone. And what's this nonsense about the diet not being sustainable? I think it's the most sustainable WoE that I've ever heard about. Thanks for posting and a good rant every now and then is a healthy thing in my view. :smile:
18 Jul 2013, 11:55
Yeah I noticed that, but before I decided to go down any supplement route I tried to up my personal vitamin B intake with changing my diet and so far so good.

ETA - I love a good rant :)
18 Jul 2013, 12:05
The best diets are those that are varied, can be followed for life, and provide enough energy to exercise regularly.
Sounds like 5:2 to me!
But I have to agree with the headaches thing - at the beginning I was getting mild headaches in the afternoons of a fast day, I haven't noticed them recently though!
18 Jul 2013, 12:18
Don't get me started on the press, they get worse, pity they seem to have so much power. I am only on my second fast day, I feel good, I have started to loose the pounds for the first time in ages without spending money on meals, shakes, supplements, or had to go to any meetings, join any clubs and I haven't even started exercise yet!
18 Jul 2013, 13:19
I agree - it's an ignorant article, quoting people who all have their own tub to thump! I am making healthier food choices on fast and feed days than I have in months and months. Plus, it's helping me to crack my sugar addiction. I haven't been spotted slinking into the local newsagents as the sun goes down and buying up their supplies of chunky kitkats and bounty bars for ages!
18 Jul 2013, 13:25
Wow! The comments to the article are fantastic! :victory: :)
18 Jul 2013, 13:29
Yeah I noticed that, but before I decided to go down any supplement route I tried to up my personal vitamin B intake with changing my diet and so far so good.

Hi Daisykitten,

Again agreed and apparently there's been some misunderstanding, I didn't express myself clearly, sorry for that. What I meant to say that Dr Nutritionist (too lazy to look up her name, sorry) perhaps might have some interest in advocating the use of supplements, whether they might be needed or not. In my view there is no need to take supplements for healthy people who eat a healthy diet. There are exceptions to this rule: pregnant/lactating women, people with certain conditions etc, but in these cases their GP will tell them so. 'Newspapers' such as the metro et al need to be filled each and every day, poor journalists! Not the best source of information on things scientific, I find. Anyway, we had a nice and healthy rant, although it's almost too warm for that. Time for another mug of lemony water (fast day for me today).
18 Jul 2013, 15:21
josie50 wrote: 'Newspapers' such as the metro et al need to be filled each and every day, poor journalists! Not the best source of information on things scientific, I find. Anyway, we had a nice and healthy rant, although it's almost too warm for that.

I'm sure you'll not be surprised to find the Metro freebie is published by no other than the Daily Mail - another paper that needs to fill its pages, without worrying too much about accuracy.

Thanks for the link daisykitten, but it's far too hot to go through the flaws in the piece, though I found the quote from the NHS more than interesting - they are committed, and fund, to people attending Weight Watchers. Now just think of the implications of ditching that decision despite many of us not paying a penny to anyone else - though it keeps a smile on the face of our greengrocer. :grin:

Long before 5:2 my GP said I was low on vitamin B, lack of red meat, but didn't give any advice on what foods to take. However, when I asked her advice about starting 5:2 she was totally supportive, 'just don't make yourself ill'. Good advice.
12 posts Page 1 of 1