The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Herbal tea
07 Feb 2013, 11:58
I am addicted to herbal tea anyway, and find them absolutely invaluable for keeping hunger at bay on fast days. I drink a lot of Pukka teas (particularly the detox one, and peppermint and liquorice) and rooibos and vanilla.

What are your favourites, and do you find any are particularly good for suppressing appetite?
Re: Herbal tea
07 Feb 2013, 12:59
A guilty pleasure because of the price tag is TeaPigs Mint. Freshest, clearest mint ever!

But I'm also a fan of Pukka, and mint & licorice is just an incredibly winning combination. There's a sinfully expensive Aveda tea that has mint & licorice and some other ingredients that is the best tea I have ever had, but after I ran out I haven't been able to justify getting a new jar!

As for suppressing appetite, I'm not sure about any of the teas, I do use vegetable broth to keep hunger at bay. About one per fast day, it makes my body think I've had a meal because it's savoury :)
07 Feb 2013, 13:48
I love Rooibos tea as if it goes cold on my desk it is still drinkable. Green tea with mint is also a winner. I know what you mean Susanne about the Aveda tea, it is absolutely gorgeous! Everytime I go near the Aveda counter in House of Frazer they offer me tea. They will soon get fed up of me not buying anything.
07 Feb 2013, 14:04
I recently put in a bulk order at Twinings direct to help me with a bit of variety on fast days! Been great to try out lots of different new flavours that I can't find in supermarkets - Really like their 'Awake' one at the moment - ginger, ginseng, rooibos and cinammon.

I do get a bit mystified as to the calorie count in the them though - MFP seems to suggest the more water you put with them, the more calorific they become! 100ml = 2 cals and 200ml = 4 cals??!!
07 Feb 2013, 14:44
Haha, Shrinking Rose, that's quite funny!

Two thoughts: a) could be that they HAVE to put some kind of value on, it's negligible in any case, but just so they have put something. Or maybe b) they expect you to use 2 bags with double the amount of water... but who uses two bags in 200ml water, that's less than half a pint!
07 Feb 2013, 15:22
I like Twinings and just working my way around different ones, I dont find herbal teas suppress appetite though.
07 Feb 2013, 15:41
Have tried - and failed - to find info on fruit teas, which I love but worry that I'm making a major error by including them on fast days!
08 Feb 2013, 13:29
Love the twinings Calm herbal tea
Camomile, rooibos, lavender and cocoa beans

I like the sound of the Awake ones, cinnamon yum
08 Feb 2013, 18:28
I like the Pukka fennel and something one. Can't remember exactly what's in it, but it's lovely.
08 Feb 2013, 19:25
Another Pukka fan here. Is it Cleanse? Perse (nettle, fennel and peppermint) I love that one after a meal. My other favourite is Pukka three ginger. Very warming at this time of year. My normal tea is Rooibos and I was so pleased when I discovered it because I hate milk and never enjoyed ordinary tea. With Rooibos I feel as if I am having a proper cuppa.
09 Feb 2013, 10:05
I love that Pukka Cleanse one too (nettle, fennel and peppermint) which is odd as I can't stand licorice and it's got a bit of that in it too, and when I first smelled the tea bag I really thought the whole box would have to be rehomed with another herbal teabagger in the office! But it tastes lovely, and I think MFP reckons it contains 0 calories, regardless of the amount of water you add to it ;)

I tried it on my husband (he's not much of a one for any hot drinks though) and his verdict was that it tasted a bit like you'd soaked an old sock in hot water :lol:

I also bought some lemongrass and ginger ones by Pukka, but I can't really get on with them at all. Perhaps I'm having them too strong, but I find they leave a bit of an aftertaste (think it's the lemongrass).

Twinings Calm sounds interesting Purpleemmyjo - lavender and cocoa beans!?
09 Feb 2013, 13:19
Yes, it's the Pukka Cleanse that I have. I've just realised that the box is 18 months out of date. :shock: Still tastes fine, though.
09 Feb 2013, 13:42
Shrinking rose, its really nice. Doesn't taste of choc at all
09 Feb 2013, 13:58
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... 56&cid=217

lovely, spicey, with a hint of choc...0 cals :roll:
09 Feb 2013, 17:09
I have to put my vote in for Tea Pigs! If you like herbal then try their lemongrass or lemon and ginger-delicious! My favourite is the yerba mate, which is a bit like green tea. It's supposed to help energy levels and weight loss (as is their match tea) but I'm not sure about that....but on a fast day nothing beats a big mug of tea to stave off the hunger pangs.
19 posts Page 1 of 2