The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

I am very near my goal-just trying to lean out on the belly, something that I know will take a lot of time and patience. I am a teacher and by the end of the summer, a bit of psychological dread had begun to set in about fasting during the winter. I'm extremely sensitive to the cold and my body temperature really takes a hit on fast days. (I should mention at this point that I would have always done a total fast except for teas and coffees.) So, I decided not to be a martyr and to begin including 500 calorie meals on my fast days to see me through the hardest part of the winter months. I've been doing this since the beginning of September and it has been going well. I'm careful to keep within the 500 calories-I don't worry if I go over a little bit the odd time, just as long as it is exactly that-a little bit. However, in the last week or so I have noticed that I have actually gained some weight. Now I've read the research that says that there is almost no difference between the weight loss effects of a total fast and eating the 500 calories but in myself, I just don't feel like my body goes into full on fat burning mode when I eat the 500 calories. I know there may be some other variables as well but I'm just wondering how people feel about this? Particularly when they are coming close to their goal. I didn't start from a very overweight point, and it seems that the only fasting strategies that have ever worked for me are the most austere ones. I tried to do the 24 hour fast i.e. dinner to dinner but that stopped the weight loss altogether and now I find that eating the recommended 500 calories kicks my body out of ketosis. I went back to a total fast today and sure enough, the old smelly breath was back-telling me that I'm back in fat burning mode.
I know the most obvious thing to think would be "is she really staying within the 500 calories...maybe she's eating more without realising" but I really am staying within those calories-often times coming in at maybe 400 calories. I'm wondering does the 500 calorie fast work fine when you have a larger amount of weight, have people found that they've had to change to a total fast the nearer they come to their goal?
Thanks for taking the time to read-I'd love to hear what you guys think. Apologies for the rambling, inarticulate nature of the post-v v tiredies.....

:heart: Ber :smile:
I've recently hit my goal. I wasn't very overweight to start off with, but have done simple 5:2. Because I've never calorie counted before this, so had no idea about my consumption, I use MFP every day. My TDEE is now quite low, so I'm getting used to the amount of food I can eat on my regular days (fast days are easier always around 400-500). If you're not losing weight with a similar pattern to me, you're probably eating too many cals on the your non-fast days. Sorry! :smile:
Good luck! :clover:
I have never eaten less than two meals on a fast day so don't think that will make much difference overall. However, I used to eat lots of raw carrots, iceberg lettuce, and raw white cabbage as I enjoyed homemade coleslaw for lunch (any day of the week) and ate carrots when I was tempted to eat a biscuit or chocolate. Since I found out they all have a high sugar content I cut down on the quantity. So perhaps it might be hidden sugars that are slowing your weight loss as you near your goal. In fact, I can't remember when I last ate carrot!
Hi:

As you are near your goal, your TDEE is about as low as it is going to get. At the same time, you have added 1000 cal. per week to your diet. That is over a pound a month of calories. However fast or slow you were losing weight, you are now losing slower or gaining as a result of added calories. Here is TDEE for the curious: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic6600.html
Thanks so much everyone. simcoeluv, thanks for that-I felt a bit 'duh!' when I read your post-yes, of course, there are 1,000 more calories to consider-never even thought of that! So looks like it's back to a liquid fast for those two days. I've also been sick for several weeks, not enough not to be working but enough to take to the bed in the evenings so I've been very inactive.

On another note, I always believed there was a double effect of the fasting method, a) you lose weight because there is a deficit of calories but also b) fasting revved up the body's metabolism and it becomes more efficient at burning fat. I thought by eating the 500 calories that the fat burning would be maintained on a metabolic level, even though I had introduced some extra calories. I don't know if that makes any sense?
Anyway, it just looks like I'm wrong as I've put on a couple of sneaky pounds. I'm a bit cross about it, at this stage every pound is painstakingly slow and I'd really gotten close to my goal. (My goal is a physical one rather than a weight based one-flat tummy!). My next thought now, is how the hell do I maintain this if it's so difficult to get to. I do want to get to it though and then sit down and have a think about what I have to do to maintain it and if it's doable for me long term.
Thanks again!
Kiki
There is no doubt some people have different metabolic rates than others. Having said that, any metabolic rate discussion is largely one of talking about an urban legend.

Your TDEE reflects your metabolic rate. By definition, the heavier you are, the higher your metabolic rate. 99% of fat people do not have slow metabolisms - they eat too much. As you lose weight, your metabolic rate (TDEE) goes down. That is why I laugh when I hear you should eat several times a day to help rev your metabolic rate. A person cannot lose weight by eating often. If you have to walk 25 miles to lose a pound, how much do you have to eat to make your heart beat fast enough to lose weight?

It is a sad fact that I have had to learn (and all overweight people that want to lose weight must learn)- you must eat less, and the amounts you used to eat can never be eaten again if you want to keep your weight loss off. :frown:
Could you drop a couple of breakfasts in the week to counter the extra 500kcals on fast days. Or just give yourself 200 or 300kcals for your fasts? Or go 16:8 for 2 or 3 days a week on top of your 5:2.

Those last few pounds will be the hardest to get off.
7 posts Page 1 of 1