The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Travel and 5:2
18 Oct 2013, 02:04
Over the months I have poked around this site, I have noticed many comments about travel. People seem always to be going away somewhere and wondering what to do with 5:2.

Some (especially those going on holiday) say eat what you want and pick 5:2 up again when you get back. Some say be strong and do 5:2 anyway. There really does not seem to be much in between.

After they come back, they either say they gained quite a bit but know they can lose it again (they can), or are happy that they didn't gain much (very good).

I was interested in these comments because I occasionally travel. If 5:2 really is a WOE, then it would seem you could do it when traveling. But I had serious doubts if you could keep going with 5:2 on the road.

I have just returned from 7 weeks on the road. I found 5:2 impossible to follow. I realize that is a personal problem. It can be done, but I did not want to do it.

I mean, eating every meal a day at a good, if not very good or great restaurant? Being served large, if not huge, portions of food you could not just leave on your plate to be thrown away. Let's not mention really good wine and beer and other adult beverages.

What is a person to do?

Well, the last time I did this I gained 20 solid pounds and achieved the highest weight in my history.

That is why I am interested in 5:2 and travel.

Before I left, I thought a bit about 5:2 and what it had taught me. I knew I would not die if I got hungry. I learned skipping a meal or two would not lead to hospitalization. After all, a 'fast' day is really a day where you skip two meals and eat an average breakfast/lunch for the third. So I wondered how I could apply this knowledge/experience to travel.

I decided to look for meals I could skip. I knew I did not have to eat three meals a day to survive. So, if I did not have a real reason to eat breakfast, I did not. If I did not have a luncheon I had to attend, I did some sightseeing instead. Dinner - well, I could think of no real good reason to skip dinner.

Results? Seven weeks on the road, down four pounds.

Skipping meals really has nothing to do with 5:2. But it is a way to cut calories out of your diet. And, as I have already left for another terrible 8 week trek, I think I'll keep skipping meals until I can get back to my beloved scales and see how it worked the second time around.
Re: Travel and 5:2
18 Oct 2013, 02:29
I went back home to UK for 2 weeks celebrating birthdays, before I went I was wondering how I would cope with staying with different families and also 23 of us going away for long weekend. Well of course the first meal requested by myself and hubby was fish, chips, curry sauce and batter bits plus cadburys choc cake, lots of sausage rolls were consumed along the way and lots of take out foods, all absolutely delicious. All I can say it was 2 weeks of indulgence but like you, would skip a meal or two when I could, and only put on 1 pound. I think this is because I cut down on portion size and skip lunch or breakafast. Best of luck on your next trip
18 Oct 2013, 02:45
I'm hoping to emulate you - we're off to New Zealand this evening for 10 days for my BIL's wedding. I know it's going to be a lot of eating and celebrating so I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I do think this WOE 'retrains' you to eat better, regardless of whether or not it's a fast day!

I'm fasting today as I'm packing up and cleaning in preparation for flying. I figure one meal on the plane should be around 500 calories (give or take). At least it sets me up for the week!
18 Oct 2013, 03:30
Ah yes, jaclee, I too wanted fish and chips, all the usual, and unfortunately indulged when we were there in June! I hadn't been doing 5:2 for very long before we went o/s for four months, and in hindsight would have done things very differently, such as skipping meals but when you are away it is easy to give in to temptation rather more easily if travelling somewhere with amazing food, i.e. Italy for six weeks, and the Pudding Club for a big night!
I wish I had read a bit more about 16:8 as I probably would have tried to do that a bit more often, and overall ended up putting on 5kg which I am now trying to lose again. I was 60kg when I went away and am now at 63kg, so a little way to go. I would have struggled with 5:2 but could have coped with 16:8.

Ah well, next time!
4 posts Page 1 of 1