The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Trying 16:8 for the first time.
29 Oct 2013, 23:55
I am going to do a 16:8 day tomorrow. 11am-7pm. I have to review a restaurant on Friday which will involve eating ribs and burgers (tough gig) so I thought it best to get some semblance of an extra fasting day in this week, given that I have two family meals this weekend as well, and I am doing the Christmas challenge. AND my holiday weight seems to have welded itself to my stomach.

So, my plan is to eat a low cal homemade tomato soup at lunch time and then have a portion of italian style fish stew in the evening.

Am I right in thinking I won't be able to have my morning coffee (milk +1 sugar) until 11am, as otherwise it would fall outside the eating times?

Then, fast as normal on Thursday.

I am going to be very very hungry aren't I?
Hi:

Since you can eat all of anything you want with 16:8, there is no reason for you to be hungry.
You will be able to have your coffee. It's the eating that counts for the purposes of the 'window' - some people don't restrict as regards calories, but just eat sensibly - see the thread by @Ballerinafor more info

5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic5557.html

Lots of comments and discussion here about the various ways people have done it - but I think the idea is you just eat normally - but within an 8 hour window. A lot of people just forgo breakfasts and have found that to be very successful - me included.

I know B will be pleased to know you are trying it out! :clover: :like: hope it works for you :clover:
Good morning all,

I only drink black coffee in the mornings, not being sanctimonious, it's just that I hate drinks with sugar and I dislike milk in my coffee. I understand, from that sassy TML, that having a splash of milk is fine but, personally, I would forego any sugar outside my eating window. Sugar will spike you insulin level and that will negate any benefit of fasting is how I understand things. But, hey, when the window, doors and assorted air vents do open, then just enjoy yourself but eat as sensibly as you would do otherwise. This is not a licence to binge eat and drink, well, once in a blue moon is fine but just not everyday. Good luck,

Ballerina x :heart:
i 'cheat' on 16:8 with bulletproof coffee (coconut oil and butter) in the morning. This keeps me going 'til lunchtime but because there is no sugar, the fat burning continues (I have a relatively low carb diet). However right now, I'm doing 16:8 in reverse and eating a late breakfast and lunch, and then a small snack before the 8 hr window closes.
Can we come with you to do your review? Sounds like its going to be a tough gig :lol: :lol:
I try to 16:8 most days now to pep up my very slow weight loss & I do keep to my TDEE during my eight hour window but I do have some semi skimmed milk in my coffee before opening my window. I am hoping that with going on holiday to Cornwall tomorrow that apart from two days in a hotel with breakfast included I can 16:8 otherwise to compensate for dinners. As an official Mother of the groom now I must not gain weight but must lose as much as I can each week, but we don't know yet when the wedding will be but I'm sure it won't be before Christmas. So I must keep focused on the Christmas Challenge :grin:
MMMmmmm :heart:
Very interesting indeed all i can say is i've been very
Lucky indeed then :clover: :clover:
6 months in and I've never given up sugar in my hot drinks
Was going to retry all the different sweetners i have in
But well i've gotten away with it so far !!!!! Sue :clover:
Isis wrote: I try to 16:8 most days now to pep up my very slow weight loss & I do keep to my TDEE during my eight hour window but I do have some semi skimmed milk in my coffee before opening my window. I am hoping that with going on holiday to Cornwall tomorrow that apart from two days in a hotel with breakfast included I can 16:8 otherwise to compensate for dinners. As an official Mother of the groom now I must not gain weight but must lose as much as I can each week, but we don't know yet when the wedding will be but I'm sure it won't be before Christmas. So I must keep focused on the Christmas Challenge :grin:

Happy hol Isis x
I've fallen into doing 16:8 every day. I don't eat breakfast and I don't miss it! This wasn't intentional but just how it evolved. Except on fast days when I eat just once :wink:
What Chickvic said. I just have green or black tea during the morning, a sensible lunch, omelette usually, with frozen grilled Mediterranean veg for quickness (microwaved for real quickness) then I can put coconut milk in my tea (yummy) then I have a normal dinner. Nothing easier :smile:
Hi Wendy darling,

Nice to bump into you, I was thinking about you earlier and came to the conclusion we had become ships that pass in the night. How are you? Nice to see how successful we've both, along with a lot of other folk, made 16/8 on here.

Take care,

Ballerina x :heart:
One of the first 5:2 books i bought talked about doing'half fasts' hich entailed not eating till about 6.30pm and then eating and drinking normally. I suppose that is basically 16:8 as long as you stop at midnight - or is that the next day. I did it a couple of time around Christmas when we went to parties on what should have been a fasting day.
Oh @Ballerina I am just so grateful to you and the 16:8 posts :grin:
13 posts Page 1 of 1