The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I noticed people talking about BMR in the 4:3 tent. Its not an acronym Im familiar with and i had to look it up in the Acronym list here.

Are they positively correlated?
Is TDEE a better measure than BMR of how we should monitor eating and calorie intake
What should BMR be on fast days compared to Non Fast days
Juliana.Rivers wrote: ... Are they positively correlated?
Is TDEE a better measure than BMR of how we should monitor eating and calorie intake

Not correlated, but additive.

BMR is the minimum energy level that your body requires just to keep you alive.

TDEE includes BMR. Lying in bed, flat on your back, breathing and doing nothing else is BMR. Simply reaching up to scratch your nose, adds to the calorie clock of your day's activities - your TDEE.

Think of it as being forced to leave your car's engine idling all night long. (Let's say that the starter is bad so if you turned if off, you couldn't restart it.)

In the morning you've burned a certain amount of fuel from all that idling, right? That represents the car's BMR. Now if you drove somewhere, your car's TDEE is the total of the fuel burned idling (all night) plus that consumed to get you to your destination.

The car's idling kept it alive and potentially useful, just as your BMR does for you. So the only choice you really have is whether you want lie in bed breathing (idling) or get up and do something (drive someplace).

HTH
ADFnFuel wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote: ... Are they positively correlated?

Not correlated, but additive.

BMR is the minimum energy level that your body requires just to keep you alive.

TDEE includes BMR. Lying in bed, flat on your back, breathing and doing nothing else is BMR. Simply reaching up to scratch your nose, adds to the calorie clock of your day's activities - your TDEE.

Think of it as being forced to leave your car's engine idling all night long. (Let's say that the starter is bad so if you turned if off, you couldn't restart it.)

In the morning you've burned a certain amount of fuel from all that idling, right? That represents the car's BMR. Now if you drove somewhere, your car's TDEE is the total of the fuel burned idling (all night) plus that consumed to get you to your destination.

The car's idling kept it alive and potentially useful, just as your BMR does for you. So the only choice you really have is whether you want lie in bed breathing (idling) or get up and do something (drive someplace).

HTH

i know i need to be active but lets say i just wanted to be on "idle".. what figure should BMR be?
Hi @Juliana@Juliana.Rivers
If you go to here
http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calor ... -fast-day/
and put in the figures,it will tell you yr TDEE AND your BMR xx
Sorry i know its not our forum but i just clicked on the first thing that came up on Google and this one deffo gives you both calculations x
There are several different calculators out there, based on the most recent research, and they will give different results. The one that gives the very low TDEEs uses that Mifflin-St.Jeor formula.

Very fortunately, for me, I have done enough careful logging over the years to be able to conclude that it is not accurate for me, possibly because even though I am not able to do much exercise due to some health issues I am built big with big arm and leg muscles. So I have more muscle mass for my height than most women.

So I have found that the Katch-McArdle formula works much better for me. You need to plug in a body fat % to get it to work, but the one from my Tanita gives a number very close to the number I get when I track actual weight loss against actual food intake. Here is a good Katch-McArdle calculator: http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/400.cfm

The other thing to keep in mind is that most people way overestimate their exercise level. An hour at the gym three or four times a week does not make much of a difference in your calorie tolerance, especially since there is depressing evidence that in women exercise raises the hormones that make you eat more. So it turns out that a lot of people who exercise overeat to compensate for the exercise and actually overshoot.

Gina Kolata had a very good article in the New York Times some years ago where she pointed out what a total fantasy the numbers are that show up on those Gym machines. You can probably find it with a Google search. My daughter got me one of those fitness bands that tracks your heart rate, and I found it very helpful--if I cut the calories it came up with in half. Since it seemed to assume I was a 30 year old male.
The TDEE calculates for me at 1514 (200 more than MSt.J). If I ate this every day plus fasting twice a week I would maintain. If I did not fast I would gain at this level and have done so. So I think MStJ probably works best for me.
Juliana.Rivers wrote: What should BMR be on fast days compared to Non Fast days

BMR (and TDEE) are indicators of the number of calories used by your body, not the ones that you eat. So BMR is the same for every day (your body in rest uses the same amount of calories just to stay alive). The reason why TDEE is linked to 'eating' is that if you want to be stable in weight, your average daily calorie intake should match your calories used (TDEE)
CandiceMarie wrote: Hi @Juliana@Juliana.Rivers
If you go to here
http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calor ... -fast-day/
and put in the figures,it will tell you yr TDEE AND your BMR xx
Sorry i know its not our forum but i just clicked on the first thing that came up on Google and this one deffo gives you both calculations x

ahh thanks

got this

Your BMI is: 24.5
Your BMR is: 1363
Your TDEE is: 1635 calories
8 posts Page 1 of 1