The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Very Tired on Day After Fast
30 Jul 2013, 18:58
Hi,

I have just started on the programme. I did a day of fasting yesterday and felt hungry but ok. Today I had breakfast but had a headache by 11am and was extremely tired all day. Just wondering if this is normal for folk or normal at the start.

Balfroni
It affects some that way. Me, I was tired most of the fast day (from the usual lunchtime on) and fine the day after. You'll find that the tiredness eases. Take a tylenol/paracetamol for the headache. BTW, if you are used to drinking caffeine, do NOT stop that cold turkey as you may get headaches from that! :clover:
It's not uncommon to feel tired after fast day. It can take awhile to adjust. Just a thought, did you drink enough water? Did you have a salty drink (bouillon, soup)? When fasting we lose quite a bit of water and salt so maybe with your next fast you could include some more fluids with some salt.
That's happened to me on occaision, not sure why, but thankfully usually I'm fine on fast days and the day after. As the others have said are you drinking enough? Did you have some coffee if you usually do? What did you eat and when? Maybe you could try something different next time and see if that helps?
Thank you for your comments. I did drink a lot of water and don't take any caffeine anyway. There may be something in the salt thing as I do like a lot of salt. I had one slice of toast for breakfast. Some cold potatoes and cold meat for lunch (not much) and a small piece of fish and a few potatoes for dinner. I did walk about 4 miles total which I do going to and from work which is a good walk for me.
Maybe try more vegetables/protein and less carbs, as carbs are quite high calorie and lead to a sugar rush then a sugar slump which could lesve you feeling tired. I'm not a low carber but on fast days I try to eat low GI as MM recommends and I find that easier and I feel better.
6 posts Page 1 of 1