The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Weight Weirdness
16 Jul 2014, 10:05
I've been doing the 5:2 and also calorie counting on my off days (under 1200/1500 as my TDEE suggests depending on if I'm active or not). The weekend is also a none counting day. I'd lost weight and was down to a comfortable 125lb. It's the lightest I've been since I was 21.

So because I got down to what I feel was a happy weight, I have been taking a break from 5:2 and just roughly looking at my calories in versus calories out and it came as no surprise to me when 2 weeks of eating carbs, cakes and chocolate that I went up to 127lbs.

However… another week later I weighed myself this morning and I now at 120lbs.

Is this normal to lose a whole 7 lbs? I don’t quite know how this has happened.

My body doesn’t look like its lost 7lbs and I even moved my scales around the bathroom and re-weighted myself 3 times just to check it wasn’t the scales and the floor being uneven giving me a false weight.
Re: Weight Weirdness
16 Jul 2014, 10:21
I'm no expert, but we all fluctuate by a few pounds, depending on fluid retention/TOTM etc (you don't say how old you are and I'm not going to be nosey and ask!!). So if your mean weight was, say, 125lbs and you were suffering fluid retention, you'd be 127lbs easily. Then, let's say you lost 2lbs in that week and weighed yourself at the optimal time, then yes, I suppose you could easily be that.
I am a daily weigher (and hub is now, too) and days when I think I'm going to see 142lbs, I see 144 or 145lbs. Perhaps I haven't explained this well, but monitor it for a while - even take a week and weigh yourself daily. I also record cals/weigt and it helps me track my fluctuations.
16 Jul 2014, 14:21
I like Penny am a daily weigher. I usually eat lowish carb and I know when I fall off the wagon a bit (like the other week) I can pile on STARTLING amounts of weight that I wouldn't believe if I didn't have the scales for evidence. The last time it was 7lbs seemingly from nowhere which I now know to have been water retention, but which is quite surprising all the same.
16 Jul 2014, 15:17
Yes I am the queen of water retention and carbs do make us retain fluid, reducing my carb intake alone puts everything back to normal, so yes weight weirdness. :like:
16 Jul 2014, 17:59
I recently went down 8lbs in 5 days to then go back up 5lbs next day!?!?!?
Mad innit, but not unknown.
Onwards and downwards :0)
5 posts Page 1 of 1