The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
I keep coming up against this topic in various web places this month. They tell me that gelatine is the 'missing health link' to long life and happiness and so I've started to try it out.
If you're vegetarian/vegan don't do this!
There are gelatine granules, generally from beef bones, and leaves/sheets from pork skin. If your religion is against eating pig go for the granules.
There's lots of detailed information out there to explain why it's good but basically you know beef broth is ace and that contains the magic ingredient but you may not like the taste, like me.
I've got the leaves as there's no taste and they just melt away.
So I soak a leaf in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes, drain and squeeze the water out of the leaf then add it to a made tisane (herb tea) or coffee with double cream and give it a good stir, and Drink it before it gets cold!
Some info I found helpful:- marksdailyapple.com, look up collagen, there's at least 2 useful pieces but I can't seem to add the link here any more.
Enjoy :0)
AB @azureblue have always been faintly horrified by gelatine..it seems weird its in jelly and Haribo sweets,jelly babies,even licorice allsorts, etc..have always got a bit freaked reading ingredients when they list " beef gelatine" " pork gelatine" ..makes me shudder specially when i read its not derived merely from hooves but intestines etc. What i have heard called and hope i dont offend anyone..
"Eyeholes,earholes and a***holes"
Despite all that it hasnt stopped me eating jelly products at times coz they taste so nice! I dont think i could manage the drink tho, or try the Boots product ive noticed thats been in the news to help guard against ageing! Will read the marks apple thing tho xx
May I update this?
Having had a gelatine leaf dissolved in a hot drink most days, then every day, then twice a day, I think I may have stumbled across the Elixir of Life!
I wake up easily and am immediately alert (not happened since I was 10?).
I have energy and intent, positivity and purpose (thought this had dribbled away forever ...).
My skin looks great, and so does my hair, my nails grow fast (I'm alive!).
No more constipation (this is important for me).
I fast every Monday without problem (22 to 24 hours), with easy 16:8 fasting the other 6 days.
There's less hunger as the gelatine lines my stomach so no more desperation to eat or snack.
Low carb, healthy fats, real food proteins are my go to choice.
It's totally ALL GOOD AND AMAZING folks!
Recommended :0)
@AzureblueThis sounds really interesting. I've only ever used powdered gelatine. Does the whole leaf dissolve in the drink? When do you have your drink(s), morning or evening?
Hi Lil, the stiff sheet of leaf needs to be left in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes to soften fully, then drained and the leaf squeezed out then popped into a hot drink, tea or coffee or chocolate all work well. There's no taste or smell to them, just stir in well and it will immediately dissolve away.
I have one in my early morning cleanse tisane (Pukka) and another in a morning coffee.
I haven't felt this bright for 20 years!
wow is this a new superfood.. does this mean i can have 5 slices of cheesecake that we made here on the weekend :-)
I've just noticed this thread, thanks @Azureblue, I'm very interested in trying it out.
Does anyone have any experience of gelatine vs collagen capsules?
Defo intrigued, I haven't woken up feeling bright and awake since before my PE, maybe this could help. I've got gelatin powder here which I use for cheesecakes, maybe I can put it in my morning tea... O.o;;
Gelatin is what happens when collagen is broken downwith heat

Start with cool water unless you use an immersion blender. I use an entire packet in a cup or two of tea or coffee. A slight thickener, you don't even notice it being there
Since reading this, I've now had 3 sheets of gelatin, 2 in soup, and 1 included in my casserole at dinner time.
I have a few questions -
Leaf gelatin is relatively cheap whereas collagen capsules are expensive, are the capsules worth the extra?
@Azureblue how long before you started seeing an effect?
@ADFnFuel when you say you use a whole pack, what do you mean (my leaf gelatine comes in packs of 15 sheets?
Thanks in advance
I am into my second week of having one sheet a day. Nothing definite to report yet. Maybe I should up it!
Knox brand gelatine comes in packets that are 7.2g (1/4 oz). A single serving is 1/4 packet (5 calories, 2g protein). So a full packet would be 20 calories.
At last I'm back in!!
I tried gelatine granules too, I found them a bit too overwhelming but then it's a much bigger 'hit' than with gentle leaf gelatin/e.
When I upped it to 3 leaves a day I discovered the odd bristle trying to grow on my chin and wondered if the extra leaf was encouraging too much testosterone?
I generally have 2 leaves a day. I suspect each individual needs to experiment a bit to see what happens, it's all a learning curve and I really hope you all get something good out of it.

My winter weight has hit 79kg, I'm not happy about that. I suspect my 5 year old grandson re-introducing me to peanut butter sandwichs may be to blame :shock: :starving: :wink:
Once we get to 2017 I'll have a serious word with myself and 5:2 the h*** out of it!

Have a happy day folks :like: :clover: :heart: :smile:
13 posts Page 1 of 1