The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

16 posts Page 1 of 2
What do we think of eggs?
17 Oct 2013, 19:41
I love eggs but have always been mindful of eating too many. I think the advice used to be no more than two per week but that has changed recently. Since 5:2ing I eat a lot of omelettes, so tasty, quick and easy. I probably eat a two egg omelette twice a week and then perhaps have another egg at the weekend.

Just wondering how many per week is ok. I notice that some of you have chickens, it must be lovely to have really fresh eggs.

Thanks
Re: What do we think of eggs?
17 Oct 2013, 19:58
I love eggs, the old cholesterol thing seems long ago. I eat an omelette most non Fast days, spring onion, mushroom, red pepper , a bit of cheese and ham ... Delicious. Keeps me full for ages, barely a carb, loads of protein
17 Oct 2013, 19:59
Hi Wendy, i like scrambled eggs but not boiled,fried or poached :razz:
I often have scrambled eggs at end of fast day
I think about four a week is ok,they have lots of vits/ minerals and not too calorifc
Have to be free range tho..i cant bear to think of any creatures having an unhappy life x
17 Oct 2013, 20:08
mmmm.... eggs.... I eat LOADS, they're so versatile. I love an omelette with all sorts of bits and pieces, or cheesey scrambled eggs. Yummers, that's what I think of eggs!
17 Oct 2013, 20:18
Love eggs in my house. We eat them without thinking about how many per week - just eat! There's nothing wrong with our cholesterol.

Just wish the bloody chooks would stop eating them too. Must be time for a new lot...
17 Oct 2013, 20:41
I'm breaking my fast right now with an omelette made with a duck egg, a chicken egg and a quail egg.

Love love love eggs, and i would easily eat a dozen a week (plus use them in baking and cooking). The whole cholesterol thing was a load of bollocks.
17 Oct 2013, 21:24
I love eggs anyways really, apart from baked! ( baked eggs that is, not, baked in a cake) I love cake too!!
17 Oct 2013, 21:29
Free range organic...nothing better!! Perfect convenience food!!
17 Oct 2013, 21:33
Love em, never worry about the numbers, yum, yum :starving: :geek:

Ballerina x :heart:
17 Oct 2013, 21:34
Two, or more usually three, eggs fried in coconut oil every morning at the moment, along with a few slices of fried potato, half a tin of beans and a small slice of cheese. From having had days without breakfast I have had a couple of months doing minimal lunches - seems to be working, still hovering around maintenance weight quite nicely...
17 Oct 2013, 22:20
I love eggs except in a Scotch egg! Hate the dryness of the yolk and cold sausage ain't my 'thing' either.
But... I love egg mayo and quite often have Hellmans lightest mayo (10 cals per spoon, I think from memory) with a hard boiled egg in a small slice of Hovis for lunch. Comes in at around 170 cals. Also partial to a scrambled egg.
Egg and tomato on the same plate turns my stomach.

We have a hen house and we are awaiting our first hens.
17 Oct 2013, 22:31
Love Eggs, I eat a boiled egg in the morning on fast days. The only difficulty is keeping enough in the house as my OH eats them for breakfast all the time too!

I think they realised that eggs had good cholesterol that actually cleans the bad cholesterol, as long as you are not eating more than 6 a day you will be fine!
17 Oct 2013, 22:50
I'm eating more since starting 5:2. I'm very much in the habit of making shakshuka as a first small meal around 4pm (tomatoes cooked with spices then baked in the oven with an egg on top). I had a 3-egg omelette with prawns for dinner but hated it so left a 3rd of it and had a slice of lean ham instead. I felt sick eating an omelette that big, not sure why as I was hungry enough and the eggs were fresh.
17 Oct 2013, 23:54
Yes, our grandmothers certainly would have recognised eggs as food. I love them.

In the 80s I had a job cooking for a doctor who had just had her 3rd child. I was also looking after the other children and doing the washing. She was completely paranoid about cholesterol and I was supposed to throw away the egg yolks! It was the hardest job I've ever had!
16 posts Page 1 of 2