The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
What is this?
20 Aug 2013, 10:48
I'm 48 so presume I'm peri menopausal and right now I feel as though my bosom has gone through a pasta machine, they are so so tender sore.
I also cannot control my thoughts about senseless eating and have indulged.

I dont like what I've done. This is the first time since starting 52 back to April that I"ve felt this way and the first time my breasts have felt this sore. Have experienced this tenderness pre 52.

I'm 5ft 5inches and hovering back and forth between 61 kg to 63kg.

Is my body saying enough already lets stay at this weight? I am trying to get to 60kg.
Am feeling irritable and hopeless. :confused:
Re: What is this?
20 Aug 2013, 11:17
hi zamale- I had really sore breasts when I started perimenopause and I am also 48!! It stopped but then I had to get a bigger bra! I used to say it was like they slipped their moorings :shock: Anyways it stopped but I found it pretty strange too. I find my emotional state pretty haywire and some days I don't fast if I am not 'all together' (if you know what I mean). I can really lose it mentally if I am hormonal and food deprived. When I am good, I fast.
20 Aug 2013, 12:21
My sympathy, how I well remember those days of menopause! I used to look at other people at work and think if you only just knew what I am having to go through here. The lack of sleep, night sweats, moods yadda yadda ... anyway the list goes on.

Am way past it now (not figuratively) the big M, gone but not forgotten. There are some good books I will fish them out and put there titles down on this thread for you.

It is a journey and how to approach it is well worth reading up about I found and hey I got through chemical free. there is light so hang in there. I do wonder what benefits you will get from 5:2 as I am sure there will be some for you.
20 Aug 2013, 13:28
Yes, there are some strange experiences around that time. To be honest I did OK. I sometimes think it was because I had such awful periods that I was just well and truly glad to see it all coming to an end! Even after I had pretty well stopped I still got the occasional bout of sore boobs.

I believe we all carry a fair amount of oestrogen in our fat deposits and so losing fat can release it and cause a bit of bodily chaos if you are perimenopausal. I have read on other sites that fasting can sometimes upset hormone balance so maybe doing 16:8 would be a better option for a few weeks.
20 Aug 2013, 22:46
Thanks for your support. I really appreciate the commiseration. My girls feel like they are in a vice today and I'm as grumpy as hell and feel like howling at the same time. Damn hormones
21 Aug 2013, 01:28
We are all howling at the moon with you!! Oh and BTW I went on the pill to deal with my mental state and wow! immediate relief. I know we are supposed to tough this out but honestly it worked a charm. Just something to think about. I work for myself and just could not financially handle sitting and staring at a wall for hours. Drove my husband crazy. Using hormones to cope is not popular amongst many but like many things we all need to find our way the best we can. The up side is it passes! :like:
21 Aug 2013, 02:52
I feel for you! That was a horrible time for me. Try to avoid antidepressants if you can. I'm still wearing some of the weight I gained from them. They did help with the moods though. I think I would be in prison now on manslaughter charges without them.
21 Aug 2013, 03:54
Thanks ladies, its quiet sad that I also care no longer for sex as well as all the other crap I have to endure. Once a month for me is plenty, but I do remember that it can be great.
I have in front of me, a prescription for oestrogen cream and testosterone cream but too chicken to get them filled.
Reading all the warnings about liver health and blood clot risks is stopping me. I was hoping replacing some oestrogen would be beneficial? to my mood as well as making things better in the bedroom. I just may get it filled, they keep telling me because its topical I'll only get a little bit.
21 Aug 2013, 04:33
I think all health warnings are related to dosage and how long you take things for. In the end all medication has risks and we weigh them up with the potential benefits. My opinion is try it and see if it helps before deciding whether to use it long term. My GP put me on the pill because it is a clear dose she can manipulate whereas the creams are harder to dose properly. I hear you about the sex business- I defy anyone to say that they are as keen during menopause!
21 Aug 2013, 07:40
Both these books I found helpful

The Change by Germaine Greer, sure she doesn't guild the lily but it helps to hear from a straight shooter.
Passage to Power by Leslie Kenton, a lovely book.

You have to do what you feel. I am just a natural girl steering clear from iaterogenasis eg prescription drugs side effects which cause diseases. All the best
21 Aug 2013, 12:14
Just wanted to add my voice in support. I think I got off lightly with just the hideous hot flushes, which I still struggle with. I've had herbal stuff for the menopause, which seemed to help (wishful thinking? The placebo effect is highly under-rated in my opinion!) but never had any prescription hormone replacement.

Hang in there, Zamale - freedom from the curse of periods has much to recommend it!
11 posts Page 1 of 1