The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Which TDEE formula
26 Jul 2013, 03:58
I been trying to get a more accurate TDEE and bookmarked 'if it fits your macro.com' they have the Mifflin St Jeor, Harris Benedict and the Catch Mc Ardle and one where you add in everyting you've done for a day in minutes including sleeping, tv sitting etc.

I feel the most accurate would be the one I enter my own activity as all the others add up around 1800-1990, which I had been eating up to and not losing and gaining the same 300gm and then some.

I will stick around the 1570 and see what happens and or enter my own individual activity.

My question would be , with the first 3 formulas do you think the TDEE is too high, like I did. Have to also remember everyone is different, so.
Thanks for reading.
Re: Which TDEE formula
26 Jul 2013, 04:09
Hi:

Give me a TDEE calculator, and I'll give you a different TDEE. As an example, I tried two calculators that gave me TDEE readings 400 cal. more than the Progress Tracker. Had I used either of those two numbers, I would be wondering what my problem was, because I would be eating on average less than my TDEE on feast days but only losing less than a pound a week. The Progress Tracker TDEE put me right on the money. That is why in my post I recommended you put in as accurate of information as you can into the tracker you are using, and then use the next lower TDEE available.

I found the Progress Tracker does as good a job as any. By that I mean it is lower than most. The one I mentioned in topic6600.html is also pretty good.

However, you have to recognize TDEE is an estimate. Bottom line, if you are sticking to your fast day calories or less, and averaging your current TDEE or less on feast days, and not losing weight over a period of more than four weeks, your TDEE is probably too high and you are eating too many calories. :clover:
26 Jul 2013, 04:23
The progress tracker is based on Mifflin St. Jeor. The tracker calculates sedentary TDEE, but other calculators using this formula will let you adjust for different exercise levels. As simcoeluv says, though, any calculator gives an estimate. There are reasons your actual TDEE might be lower (or higher) than that, such as hypothyroidism.
26 Jul 2013, 05:06
I have been using the (sedentary) TDEE value from the Progress Tracker here and you can see in my stats how well that is working for me. :smile:
26 Jul 2013, 05:40
MaryAnn wrote: The progress tracker is based on Mifflin St. Jeor. The tracker calculates sedentary TDEE, but other calculators using this formula will let you adjust for different exercise levels. As simcoeluv says, though, any calculator gives an estimate. There are reasons your actual TDEE might be lower (or higher) than that, such as hypothyroidism.

You can specify your activity level in your tracker settings. It defaults to sedentary if you haven't set it.
26 Jul 2013, 05:53
Oops. Sorry for spreading misinformation.
26 Jul 2013, 06:54
Thanks, this is helpful. I have set progress tracker to light exercise.
26 Jul 2013, 08:01
Am I being really thick but I've never been able to find the on-site TDEE calculator in my progress tracker .... where should I be looking and how do you access it? :?:
26 Jul 2013, 09:59
TDEE is on right under BMI when viewing tracker tracker.php , it needs enough data from you in your profile or it doesn't work.
9 posts Page 1 of 1