The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Non fast days
17 Mar 2017, 06:41
Hi

Hoping you can help me. I do have various books however I am still confused with calculations and the amount of calories I can have on a non-fast day to lose some weight - approx 3-5 kilos. Does this have anything to do with BMR or TDEE? My BMR is 1175 and TDEE 1410. Which is it that is the calorie intake for non fast days and if wanting to lose more weight do I reduce it at all?

Unsure if the TDEE or the BMR is the amount of current calorie intake and if so, is it the amount of calories to keep same weight as I am aiming to lose 3-5kg and wondering if I should reduce the amount of calories on my non-fast days to lose this weight.

Hope to hear from you and your advice.

Many thanks
Nicky
Re: Non fast days
17 Mar 2017, 17:12
Nicky P wrote: Hi

Hoping you can help me. I do have various books however I am still confused with calculations and the amount of calories I can have on a non-fast day to lose some weight - approx 3-5 kilos. Does this have anything to do with BMR or TDEE? My BMR is 1175 and TDEE 1410. Which is it that is the calorie intake for non fast days and if wanting to lose more weight do I reduce it at all?

Unsure if the TDEE or the BMR is the amount of current calorie intake and if so, is it the amount of calories to keep same weight as I am aiming to lose 3-5kg and wondering if I should reduce the amount of calories on my non-fast days to lose this weight.

Hope to hear from you and your advice.

Many thanks
Nicky

Hi and welcome Nicky!!

TDEE is the *estimate* of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure -- or the calories you burn in an average day. The bmr is your basal metabolic rate, what you burn if you are simply sleeping all day, basically.

The idea behind 5:2 is to eat *roughly* your TDEE on nonfast days, and about 25% of your TDEE on fasting days. This produces a weekly deficit of roughly 150% of one day's energy. For you, that would be a bit over 1/2 pound a week - maybe 250ish grams?

a TDEE of only 1410 would be correct if you are petite, older, sedentary and only a few kg overweight. My TDEE is closer to 2200 in a day

Hope this helps!!
17 Mar 2017, 22:48
Thanks so much - very helpful!
18 Mar 2017, 01:45
If you use the tracker on here, it will give you your TDEE for when you are fasting. It is higher than if you weren't fasting!
19 Mar 2017, 02:29
Hi @Nicky P and welcome!

As Tracie infers, the TDEE is only an approximation of what your daily energy needs are - your own experience is the best guide to what and how much you can eat and maintain a relatively constant weight. If you want to lose weight, then ideally the amount you eat on non-fast days should be based on the weight you want to be and not what you currently weigh. But given you only want to lose a few kilos, there won't be much difference in your TDEE. Is there something you eat now on a regular basis that you can either cut out or reduce in amount that will help you maintain a lower weight? Other than that, you should be able to stick to your usual diet on non-fast days - unless you take the opportunity to make other positive changes to your diet (unless you are already eating healthily but maybe just a bit more than you need).

There are (sound) arguments for why you should not significantly cut your calories on non-fast days, even though you may think by doing so that you will speed your weight loss. Not everyone agrees with this, but I won't try to outline the various "for" and "against" argument here.

Best wishes, and do let us know how you are going. :clover: :smile:
19 Mar 2017, 06:10
Thank you for my replies. Very informative and I'm looking forward to a new healthy lifestyle.

Nicky :wink:
6 posts Page 1 of 1