The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

27 posts Page 1 of 2
tea without milk
24 Jan 2013, 09:14
First fast day without milk in my tea. Actually, if you close your eyes it doesn't taste bad!
Re: tea without milk
24 Jan 2013, 09:28
I have recently switched to always having my tea without milk after a bad experience with out of date milk put me off. I was initially quite worried I would never properly enjoy tea again but now drink Earl Grey which IMO tastes much better black than normal tea. I can't drink pg tips black anymore, tastes like floor sweepings. Worth a try if you have trouble adjusting.
24 Jan 2013, 09:44
I hate Earl Grey or any "scented" tea, actually. I'm happy with my Barry's tea at the moment. I am feeling a bit sicky though at the moment because my stomach is empty. Hoping it'll go away if I just ignore it - otherwise I'll have to eat a banana. Wanted to save my calories till later but maybe I'm just not built that way!
24 Jan 2013, 10:05
I have been missing my tea without milk but have been having green tea with lemon which is not too bad, although I put too much lemon in this morning and it certainly woke me up.
24 Jan 2013, 10:47
I'm a tea addict and I've been drinking lots of herbal teas, green with a slice of lemon and feverfew but I've found 'normal' tea is better slightly weaker than usual if you're having it without milk in. ;)
24 Jan 2013, 10:58
Yes, weaker I think. I don't really like herbal teas much, I'm afraid and I draw the line at green tea. I can occasionally drink a camomile or a mint but only at night and only a small cup. The sickness has gone off. I am quite looking forward to getting a taste for black tea, actually. Just think of the calories it will save for someone who gets through about six mugs a day!
24 Jan 2013, 11:50
A dash of semi-skimmed is surely not a big deal if you are looking just at the overall calorie count, even on a fast day: 5-10 cals for 10-20 ml. There might be reasons for wanting to cut it out though - for yet another see the (killjoy!) article here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8408416/Milk-in-tea-could-be-preventing-weight-loss.html
24 Jan 2013, 12:05
Try redbush perhaps? It's been my "normal" tea for about 5 years now, ever since I thought about giving up on caffeine. I soon went back to the caffeine, buy enjoyed the tea so much I have stayed with it in preference to the traditional version.... and it tastes much better black than normal tea does... well, to me anyway :)
24 Jan 2013, 12:32
Dominic, it was something Dr Mosley said about try to drink tea and coffee without milk. There is a scientific reason but I can't quote it without trawling back over to Twitter where he posted it - I'm sure someone can - IG something or other? There is also the thing that he is now saying that if you can try to go 12 hours without calories - and milk is calories. I usually have quite a bit of semi-skimmed in my mug and always put more in if other people make it for me, so I might as well have it without and not like it, than with just a dash, and not like it - IYSWIM. No, no redbush. Like I said, I just like the bog standard British tea, no fancy stuff.
25 Jan 2013, 07:52
I've always drank black tea, but you need to have it fairly weak especially on an empty stomach otherwise it make you feel nauseous.
25 Jan 2013, 08:56
Thanks Dean, that will have explained the sickness I felt yesterday morning.
25 Jan 2013, 14:11
Jem, glad to help. Try just dunking the bag in a couple of times only - just colour the water. X
25 Jan 2013, 14:59
Must admit I am really enjoying my "proper" tea today.
26 Jan 2013, 21:15
I was on a very low calorie diet a few years ago and had to drink tea without milk. After experimenting with Rooibos, green etc I settled on Ceylon tea because I don't like anything herbal, flavoured or fragrant. Like the OP I just like normal tea. Ceylon tea brews very light and is less bitter than normal (PG,Tetley etc) teas but is still what I would describe as a normal tea. Because it is light and not so bitter I find it much more palatable without milk than others.
At the moment I am drinking my tea with milk as I only have a small amount anyway and for the very few calories added to a few brews a day by adding milk it's not worth spoiling my brew for. Having just read the article from the Telegraph posted (link) above I might reconsider this in the next few weeks depending on how my weight loss goes. (just started 5:2 last week - only 2 fasts completed)
27 Jan 2013, 08:17
Jem wrote: Dominic, it was something Dr Mosley said about try to drink tea and coffee without milk. There is a scientific reason but I can't quote it without trawling back over to Twitter where he posted it - I'm sure someone can - IG something or other?

Thanks Jem yes I think it is about IGF-1 (lots more discussion at http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34). I just heard him on the radio (link at http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=210) and there he again explains that he avoids milk in tea and coffee on fast days. Though he doesn't mention IGF-1, he thinks it may be important to avoid any calories intake for prolonged periods (12 hours as he does it because he has breakfast and dinner on a fast day) because it promotes release of Neurotrophic Factor (a new term to me, but it relates to the work of Dr Mark P Mattson who appeared in the original Horizon programme).

I have been trying some coconut-based milk (Koko product) as a potential milk substitute, I think it avoids the IGF-1 problem and it has only about half as many calories as semi-skimmed. Unlike soya milk it doesn't curdle in coffee. But it still has some calories of course. I might try Woody_UK's tip about Ceylon tea - I too find ordinary British (Yorkshire!) tea too bitter without something added.
27 posts Page 1 of 2