The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

14 posts Page 1 of 1
11am-7pm fast
28 May 2013, 03:51
Hello. I'm new to this forum. I've been following the 5:2 fast religiously for 4 weeks now. I've lost a 3.1 pounds. My waist measurement is the same. So little for all that effort. I wouldn't say I find it easy either. I feel very hungry at night and I get terrible headaches (I'm keeping hydrated). It's no fun. I've tried the 11-7pm fast mentioned in the book the last 3 times. It's slightly more manageable for me. Have read the comments about the scales being deceptive. I guess I'm worried I wont stick with this long-term. Initially I thought it sounded like a practical, well researched approach that I could incorporate into my life. I don't seem to find it as easy or remotely enjoyable as others. I am generally a positive person, but feel pretty miserable on the fast days (like today).

"One of my key researchers in this field often start her day with a late breakfast at around 11am and finishes with supper at 7pm. That way she's fasting for 16 hours a day, twice a week. Based on the mouse study cited on page 28, it may be an even better approach".

Hope this helps someone else and I would love some feedback please.
Re: 11am-7pm fast
28 May 2013, 07:18
I'm using a similar strategy for maintenance fasting - not eating anything until after 12:00 and dinner around 18:00 - but with no great restriction of calories, just good food. When I was trying to lose weight I only ate the evening meal and was reasonably strict with the allowance (600/800 calories). I have been lucky and able to exercise quite hard despite fasting and the fat dropped off quickly with not too much pain but certainly some hunger and a few disturbed nights. The benefit of only one meal on a fasting day seemed to be the appetite reset which curbed snacking habits which means the feast days do not become true feasts on junk. Ballerina uses 16:8 everyday for maintenance and seems to love it, I just do the 2 days, others like Franglaise have variable maintenance strategies like 6:1. We can't see your stats so no idea how much weight you want to lose but 3 lbs in 4 weeks is only just below average, although many do lose quickly in the first fortnight then seem to get stuck - this seems to be water weight which is being rebalanced. Sorry you are finding it unpleasant but consider trying to save all your calories for one decent evening meal, then at least you go to bed with a full tummy..
28 May 2013, 07:48
Thanks for your response CreakyPete and for your suggestion. I thought about having one evening meal only, but as I'm ravenous during the day too I can't face it. I started at 70kg and now I'm 68.6. My waist measurement has actually gone up by an inch! I've not been overeating on my non-fast days, just eating normally. My day is nearly over and I'm not so hungry tonight as I had a good amount of protein for dinner. Perhaps that's key. I'm wondering if there are two distinctive groups of responders to the fasting, the fast trackers (lucky) and the slow sloggers. I'm hoping losing the weight slowly will keep it off. Anyways thanks again for your concern, it has encouraged me a lot to have your support.
28 May 2013, 08:20
Sometimes a slow start is because you are already on some sort of regime at the beginning so you have no water weight to lose. If thats the case it might only be a small loss compared to some but it should be fat.

I swap around according to how I feel and how it fits my week. If its going to be a long fast I go for pretty much all protein as that way I stay full.
28 May 2013, 12:47
I often can't seem to push through to dinner, so after I've had a mug of bouillon and still can't seem to hold out, I will have a hard boiled egg around 2pm and then I'm good until dinner a few hours later. The boiled egg really does wonders for me with my attitude and even physically, I feel more energized. I avoid any carbs on fast day and that really seems to help.
30 May 2013, 08:08
Thanks for your comments Miffy49. I actually lost quite a bit of weight at the beginning and put it back on. Having read the posts about this, I understand why. I wonder if I'm retaining water now and that's why my waist measurement is up an inch. I see you've lost 3.09 kg! You go girl!! You're looking svelte in your profile picture.
30 May 2013, 08:16
Appreciate you taking the time to reply to me Betsysgr8. Great suggestions re egg and protein. The weight is falling off you I see. Well done!!
30 May 2013, 08:50
Hi Calliope,

Don't panic about not losing quickly, I have had spectacular success with 5:2 but must have had one of the slowest, most depressing starts ever. If you go onto the 'inspirational stories' thread you can read how I did it, otherwise, just keep going, you will get there, and good luck :clover:

Ballerina x :heart:
30 May 2013, 10:05
Thank you Ballerina. I am touched by your support and already feel encouraged and inspired by your progress. Your cat is soooo pretty.
06 Jun 2013, 17:37
I also vouch for 16/8 fasting. My husband started doing it, and I followed. I am slowly losing weight, not counting any calories, just limiting my eating time. I usually eat between 11 and 7 like you mentioned, sometimes between noon and 8 p.m.

In case you're interested there's a book that's titled The 8 Hour Diet, but it's loaded with a lot of hype and not enough science for me. One I have on pre-order from amazon is titled The Mini Fast Diet by Dr. Julian Whitaker. It comes out in three weeks and follows the same premise of just limiting your eating time and eating however you like. You can look through that book on amazon. I really like what I've read.
06 Jun 2013, 20:53
Great point Miffy49. Thats exactly what my aunt said to me tonight when I said I had only lost 1lb after 1 week 2 days. I was on Slimming World before trying this (WW before that etc etc etc lol) so my body is used to dieting and so I had no water to lose.....just fat haha

Karen
06 Jun 2013, 21:07
Hi Rainbow,

Nice to see you back or perhaps I've just missed your posts, anyway, good to hear it it is going well for you and your husband. You can catch up with me on my Grande Tour round France on 'Last post for Ballerina'

Amyway, Calliope, please, please do not give up. As I said earlier, some of us have a painfully slow start but you will get there, keep going,

Ballerina x
06 Jun 2013, 23:23
Hi Ballerina!...waving!...

I've been off the web about a week due to computer issues. All solved now! I will go post-stalk you now to hear about your lovely (I hope) vacation in France. Did you stick to the 16/8 timeframe or just take a break?
07 Jun 2013, 00:34
Calliope,I am not weighing but judging from my jeans the weight loss is very slw but I think the reason for me is also that before this I was on weight watchers and before that on some other diet and before that......
I skip breakfast and if I feel starving at lunch imhavevan apple but what I find really helps is that I make a big pot of soup from free veggies and roast (with no oil )lots of veggies
Then. Layer on the day I fill up on soup and for for dinner I eat lots of salad and veg and a bit of low fat protein ,then my treat is a low cal hot choc
Hope that helps you
How is you holiday,ballerina?
14 posts Page 1 of 1