The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

14 posts Page 1 of 1
VEG AND SALAD
02 Aug 2013, 15:36
new to this site......and the 5:2 diet plan - going to start monday.

if i wanted to just have the same two meals on the fasting days - is that ok?

i was thinking of having chicken breast and salad or veg on a monday and something similar on the thursday......can i have unlimited veg or salad or do i have to weigh it?

thanks for any help/advice.

all the best
Re: VEG AND SALAD
02 Aug 2013, 17:26
I don't think it matters what you eat or drink as long as you stick to 500 calories, good luck, :clover:

Ballerina x :heart:
02 Aug 2013, 18:05
I often do this, maybe vary the protein. I cook only for myself and buying veg for one for one meal (I eat alot more veg when fasting & salad), makes it more economical.

I also found that when I started I did this, then I had some idea of portion size for the second fast day. Now I can almost judge the calories from the veg size say for roasted veg where I have a larger selection.

Good luck, and stick with it, first few fast days can be hard, and drinks lots of water to keep hunger at bay ! I am on my seventh week and lost 10ilbs :smile:
02 Aug 2013, 19:31
Hi POLLYANN & Welcome I think most of us do something similar I don't bother counting veg or salad just have chicken fillet Cajun or piripiri or tandoori + very large salad, usually try to go for 2 courses to make it more of a treat. Good luck :clover: Sue
05 Aug 2013, 13:04
hello everyone,

thanks for replying.

am starting today! its only 2pm and i am starving!!

bit confused about having a breakfast or lunch? i am thinking i have to starve myself until tonights supper - which will be chicken and lots veg.

i am also drinking sparkling water. is that ok?

not sure i can do this.......
05 Aug 2013, 13:10
Welcome! Anything goes as long as they add up to 500 calories or less. Breakfast makes me ravenous so I have moved to a single meal in the evening. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress!
05 Aug 2013, 13:20
I have a cuppa soup and a low fat yog for lunch, about 100 cals total. Keeps me going till dinner. Take it steady tho if you think you can't make it till dinner then have something now.
05 Aug 2013, 14:07
I tend to have the same foods over and over for my fasts. It does make it easier when shopping and cooking for one person. Plus, I don't like counting calories so I figured the calories for a few good fast-day recipes and stick to those.

I don't weigh or count my veggies. As long as I'm sticking to lower calorie veg, say a green salad and not potatoes or sweet potatoes, I assume it's 50-100 calories. You might want to get an idea of the calorie content of your favorite veggies and see if their are any worth paying attention to.
05 Aug 2013, 15:44
thank you so much for the help and support

just had an apple and feel bit better...is there a really good calorie counter online somewhere? all the ones i have found want me to sign up to something.

also, which book is the best for recipe ideas?

thanks again
all the best
05 Aug 2013, 15:56
Hi POLLYANN and welcome!
Hope your first fast is going ok, stick with it they do become easier!

I use an app called myfitness pal which is great for keeping track of calories on fast days - I scan in everything to keep me on track, despite it annoying my other half!!

Good luck and enjoy your meal tonight I know I will :wink:
05 Aug 2013, 16:09
hi mizzo

thanks for that - i will find that app.

thanks for your support - and yes i cant wait for dinner!

all the best
05 Aug 2013, 16:15
My fitness pal is one of the best things ever ever ever. So Pollyann what's for dinner on your first fast day?
05 Aug 2013, 17:11
hi

stir fry - chicken and lots veg......just about to eat it now and i cant wait - could eat my own arm!

:starving: :lol:
07 Aug 2013, 08:31
Get some low cal jelly, low cal hot choc and ainsley Harriet hot and sour cuppa soup. Saved my sanity they have.
14 posts Page 1 of 1