The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet 'Rules' & Variations

13 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a question!

WHAT, IF ANY, ARE THE DOWNSIDES OF 2 CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF FASTING?

I have no real choice this week, unless I visit my favourite cousin and refuse to eat all the lovely food she's cooked for me (am disinclined to do this). I fasted yesterday and have had nothing to eat yet today.

Will power will be fine today - I can tell I'm in the right place mentally, but I am very worried about lowering my metabolism and doing my longterm weight loss more harm than good. I'd hate to win a short term drop in weight only to slow my metabolism and put more weight on as a result.

I exercised yesterday, but was going to go easy on myself today.

Any info / experiences of consecutive day fasting VERY gratefully received.

xx
I've never tried it- my will power would never last, but other people do and I don't think it has any effect on your metabolism- but I'm no expert
One of the variants of the 5:2 does consecutive days, so don't think it'll have a negative impact long term doing it every now and then. If you reckon you can do it, go for it. And even if you wind up going a bit over, it'll still be a low cal day, so you can enjoy your visit. IMHO it's not worth refusing hospitality, even if it means just one fast in a week.
Hourglass it is doable but quite hard.

I wouldn't worry about lowering your metabolism by doing 2 consecutive fasts though, (there are threads on here that debunk the "starvation mode" idea).

I don't know what your weight loss target is, but based on your BMI, you are a mere slip of a thing, so you could just do 6:1 this week and try eating in an 8 hour window on the other days (there is a long thread about 16:8 if you haven't already found it)

Good luck with what you decide to do, but the beauty of this WOE is you can adapt it to fit your life :clover:
Some people do consecutive days on 5:2 as standard because they prefer to get both days 'out of the way' - it's only suggested to split the days because it's easier to think of 'dieting' for one day at a time.

I've tried consecutive days a couple of times and admittedly struggled towards dinner time on the second day, but it's not impossible.

The 2-day diet, a 5:2 variant is actually based on consecutive days (the rest of the days also being a form of diet, Mediterranean style eating).
I usually do 2 fasts in a row. Not to get them "out of the way" but because, doing 4:3 and trying not to touch to the whole weekend beginning Friday, I don't have a lot of choices so I fast Monday/Tuesday. If I can't for a reason or another fast on Tuesday, I do a 16:8

Today is a good example, I woke up with a huge headache so I decided to do a 16:8. Just had my lunch and will have a soup for dinner tonight.
For me they are no problem at all I'm same as Manderlay I'm doing 4:3 so quite often do 2 days back2back :heart: :heart:
But obviously we're all different so you won't know until you try it for yourself then it'll give you an idea for the future, or as suggested could make 16:8 out of it if it gets to difficult :clover: Sue. :clover:
There’s another way of looking at it. MM came up with 5:2 because that is how our society organises itself. One week we found ourselves having to do the two days with only one day in between and OH struggled on the second day. So next time, and being retired it’s easier, we just went into the next week and adjusted things. To me there are no sacred texts and that is the beauty of 5:2.
Thank you everyone! I was tempted to give in and have lunch and then read your comments and that strengthened my resolve. It's nearly 5pm now and and I'm just a couple of corn cakes and humous down. Hopefully I'll make it through. Don't think I'll be making a habit of it though... :)
I do mine back to back, but thats because i actually find its easier. I certainly find it easier to not eat if i have not already. Yes i will feel hungry by bed time no doubt (i usually do monday and tuseday), then i will tell myself how i can have breakfast in the morning. But you wait...morning will come and i will feel no rush for breakfast, often i find i dont bother with anything then till lunch!

Best advice i can think of is remember the pangs come in waves, not all the time, if its a bad wave get a drink, it helps, ok only a little but taking the edge off is better than nothing! If all else fails distract yourself, put on some good tv (fast forward through the tempting food adverts though!) read a good book, go out for a walk...start an argument with a loved one... you will soon find the time flying by!
Great encouragement here, thanks all from me! I didn't find out till end of day yesterday I would need to go out to dinner on Thursday with my husband and a business associate who is in town from Vietnam. If I want to do two fasts and not have to fast on Friday (to be avoided at all costs!) I will have to go back to back today and tomorrow. I have gotten through today ok but am quite missing that "looking forward to being able to eat normally tomorrow" feeling...wish me luck!
Good luck to you mummybunny :clover:

The first time I had 2 fasts in a row it happened a bit by chance. I had a "normal" fast day and the next morning I wasn't hungry for breakfast so didn't eat. Wasn't hungry for lunch either so forgot to eat and before I knew it, it was time for dinner... :cool:

The fact that it gave a kick in the butt of my weight loss gave me a good motivation to keep doing it. However I try to not put any pressure on it. If I can't do it for whatever reason, like yesterday, it's a problem. The 2nd fast day is the cherry on the top or, as we say here "le cadeau bonux" (Bonux is a washing powder brand and you could find a tiny toy in it when I was young) :wink:
I have done it several times and found it easier than separate days, however tried back to back fast today (fasted yesterday), but was feeling so terribly light headed that I ended up eating.
13 posts Page 1 of 1