The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

39 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Low Carb Pumpkin Bread
10 Nov 2013, 18:32
It's first thing on my 'to do' list for tomorrow, didn't quite trust myself to make it today whilst fasting as I would have been too tempted to sample it! :oops:
Karen, do you just boil the squash before you puree it as I generally roast it when I cook it? :?:
10 Nov 2013, 18:59
callyanna wrote: It's first thing on my 'to do' list for tomorrow, didn't quite trust myself to make it today whilst fasting as I would have been too tempted to sample it! :oops:
Karen, do you just boil the squash before you puree it as I generally roast it when I cook it? :?:

I just cut it in half face down in the oven and roasted it dry. It caramelises on its own and then I just scooped it out, so it was ready puréed. I have been fasting too today and thinking of having some for breakfast tomorrow :grin:
10 Nov 2013, 19:45
I roasted my pumpkin slices then whizzed them in the food processor, then I put the puree into a sieve and left it to drain for about 90 mins. I was surprised how much water still came out. I was really glad I hadn't boiled it as it would have absorbed even MORE liquid. I then portioned it up and froze, so I've got enough for THREE paleo loaves before I have to start on the butternuts :)
11 Nov 2013, 18:33
Well Karen made one this afternoon and just had a little nibble. Mmm, really tasty! Definitely doesn't need any additional sweetener as the spices and squash are naturally sweet enough. First time I've used coconut flour in baking so wasn't sure how it would turn out as I've read it's notoriously difficult to get the liquid ratio right but fingers crossed it seems to have worked ok. Thanks again for the recipe, will be using it regularly from now on.
:like: :heart: :like:
11 Nov 2013, 19:19
callyanna wrote: Well Karen made one this afternoon and just had a little nibble. Mmm, really tasty! Definitely doesn't need any additional sweetener as the spices and squash are naturally sweet enough. First time I've used coconut flour in baking so wasn't sure how it would turn out as I've read it's notoriously difficult to get the liquid ratio right but fingers crossed it seems to have worked ok. Thanks again for the recipe, will be using it regularly from now on.

Oh thank you for posting back. I had two slices to break my fast day this morning and was wondering how you were getting on in your kitchen. I have decided to make this again Instead of banana bread as I like the spices. Yum :like:
11 Nov 2013, 19:23
callyanna wrote: Well Karen made one this afternoon and just had a little nibble. Mmm, really tasty! Definitely doesn't need any additional sweetener as the spices and squash are naturally sweet enough. First time I've used coconut flour in baking so wasn't sure how it would turn out as I've read it's notoriously difficult to get the liquid ratio right but fingers crossed it seems to have worked ok. Thanks again for the recipe, will be using it regularly from now on.

And on ratios, I have guesstimated that a cup of flour is equivalent to a quarter cup of coconut flour, but it normally needs something else to take the gap, eg almond flour. Not cooked with soya or gram for years, FatDog is the expert here....
11 Nov 2013, 19:28
rawkaren wrote:

And on ratios, I have guesstimated that a cup of flour is equivalent to a quarter cup of coconut flour, but it normally needs something else to take the gap, eg almond flour. Not cooked with soya or gram for years, FatDog is the expert here....

Yes, FatDog has some amazing recipes using alternative flours. Actually bought some gram flour last week but never used soya flour so far.
Going back to the pumpkin bread, will add some nutmeg next time as I love its warmth and thought about substituting almond essence for the vanilla?
11 Nov 2013, 19:33
Sounds lovely. Also wondering if allspice was a good substitute for all the other spices
13 Nov 2013, 13:15
I've just made this and it looks and smells great! I think I need to get a smaller loaf tin though as it isn't very tall.... I think I'll be eating "wedges" rather than slices!!!
13 Nov 2013, 20:08
It's scrummy D@omane! After my zumba class this afternoon I had a big chunk of it with some blueberries and Greek yogurt. It really hit the spot! :razz:
13 Nov 2013, 20:51
@rawkaren regarding the coconut flour would my grinding shredded coconut to a flour consistency in my little spice grinder make it fine enough to pass as a flour. It is a pretty effective little machine.
13 Nov 2013, 21:08
Not sure as coconut flour is really finely milled so don't know how effective your grinder is. Might be worth a go so long as the shredded coconut is not the stuff that has sugar on it.
14 Nov 2013, 00:57
Thanks rawkaren, this looks wonderful
I'll try it tmrw after my fast today( and when I've had a chance to get the flours)!
14 Nov 2013, 04:49
Hi there, just wondering if the coconut flour has any practical benefit or whether you could leave it out?
Ta
Deb
14 Nov 2013, 06:50
I would imagine it holds it together and binds with the egg. I have made cakes just with almond flour, so it would be more cake-like than bread-like.
39 posts Page 2 of 3