The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

39 posts Page 1 of 3
Low Carb Pumpkin Bread
09 Nov 2013, 13:14
Special request from @Kawberlin for this one. It started life as a Danielle Walker Spiced Pumpkin Muffin, but she puts maple syrup in and chocolate chips. So I thought I'd turn it into a low carb bread instead. It has a much better texture than her banana bread and so I think I prefer it. Great way to use pumpkins! Picture at the end.

12 slices at 110 cal per slice and 5g of carbs.

2 cups blanched ground almonds or almond flour
3 tbsp coconut flour
2 tsp cinnamon
0.75 tsp nutmeg
0.25 tsp ground ginger
0.25 tsp ground cardamom
0.25 tsp ground cloves (I didn't have any)
0.25 tsp sea salt
0.75 cup of cooked, pureed pumpkin (I used butternut squash)
2 large eggs
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
0.25 cup of water. (see below)

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl
Put the wet ingredients into a bowl and beat on high until combined
Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl until combined, mix until smooth. Note this is a very thick batter and as DW put in maple syrup, I added water to slacken it off.

Put batter into a 2lb greased loaf tin, bake for about 30 mins at 180/350. The mixture should fill to the top as it does not have a large rise!

Re: Low Carb Pumpkin Bread
09 Nov 2013, 13:19
Thanks. This looks great. Do you grind the almonds to a sort of flour? I don't see evidence of them in the picture.
09 Nov 2013, 13:49
Ooooh, thank you! Looks delicious!

It's not sweetened in any way right?
09 Nov 2013, 14:25
JM53 wrote: Thanks. This looks great. Do you grind the almonds to a sort of flour? I don't see evidence of them in the picture.

Apology. It's a flour which is basically ground almonds. Have edited. Thanks!
09 Nov 2013, 14:26
Kawberlin wrote: Ooooh, thank you! Looks delicious!

It's not sweetened in any way right?

Absolutely zero sugar. The almonds and pumpkin are sweet enough to make it tasty.
09 Nov 2013, 15:19
MMMMmmm this looks delicious. Sounds like it would make a perfect breakfast smeared with a brie or cream cheese. :)
09 Nov 2013, 15:37
Oh, decisions, decisions! which do I try first, the low carb pumpkin (I've got a butternut squash AND I bought some cardomum pods this week), or the banana? Both sound utterly yummy!
09 Nov 2013, 15:41
callyanna........ BOTH! :-)
09 Nov 2013, 15:44
Kawberlin wrote: callyanna........ BOTH! :-)

I've only got enough ground almonds to make one this weekend but you're right, will have to replenish my stores and try both! :wink:
09 Nov 2013, 15:59
callyanna wrote:

I've only got enough ground almonds to make one this weekend but you're right, will have to replenish my stores and try both! :wink:

Pumpkin is more bread like. Banana is moe eggy (slightly wetter). :heart:
09 Nov 2013, 16:29
rawkaren wrote:
callyanna wrote:

Pumpkin is more bread like. Banana is moe eggy (slightly wetter). :heart:

Think I'll plump for the pumpkin first, especially as my son has demolished the bananas I was leaving especially to ripen as he thought they 'needed eating'!
09 Nov 2013, 20:18
Good choice Carol :heart:
09 Nov 2013, 20:22
Ooooh..... that's a different recipe to the one I made. Definitely going to give yours a try, Rawkaren....

How long does it keep for? I'm the only person who will eat it, y'see....
09 Nov 2013, 21:31
Domane wrote: Ooooh..... that's a different recipe to the one I made. Definitely going to give yours a try, Rawkaren....

How long does it keep for? I'm the only person who will eat it, y'see....

Dunno yet. First time. I'm freezing in slices and taking out when I need. :grin:
10 Nov 2013, 18:17
Ah well that's an even better idea!
39 posts Page 1 of 3