The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

47 posts Page 2 of 4
Re: 35 kcal cauliflower 'rice'
02 Apr 2013, 18:17
Just made this with butternut squash curry - it was lovely! Absolutely stuffed and didn't miss real rice at all. Great alternative. :grin:
02 Apr 2013, 18:24
I use mashed cauliflower as a topping for cottage pie, you'd never know it wasn't mashed potato especially with a bit of grated cheese on the top. :-)
08 Jul 2013, 20:16
Made this for the first time last week to go with a fish curry. ..it was amazing and so felt like I was actual rice! :)
08 Jul 2013, 21:30
Thanks for these girls, will definitely give the Rice and the pizza a try.
09 Jul 2013, 16:21
Yum. Did it in the microwave with chopped chives.
09 Jul 2013, 16:28
Stephie63 wrote: I use mashed cauliflower as a topping for cottage pie, you'd never know it wasn't mashed potato especially with a bit of grated cheese on the top. :-)

Yep, husband and I sometimes have mashed cauli as an alternative to mashed potato. It's great with lots of black pepper on it. We just boil it in the normal way and mash it like you would spuds. Lovely,
09 Jul 2013, 17:16
Thank you for this tip! I am so going to try it.
17 Jul 2013, 16:48
Well, very glad to report freezing worked. I whizzed a whole cauli in the food processor a couple of weeks ago, and divided into 3 - ate one portion and bagged up the other 2 in sandwich bags, and froze them. Got one out of the freezer this afternoon, it defrosted v. quick, then I cooked it covered in the microwave in the usual way. It was just as nice as the fresh portion. I'm tempted to blitz and freeze several caulis now, so I'm set up for the next few weeks of very convenient portions.
17 Jul 2013, 17:00
Wish I didn't dislike cauliflower so much :( maybe I'd like it riced?
17 Jul 2013, 18:53
Moogie wrote: maybe I'd like it riced?

Under a Waitrose Red Thai Chicken Curry tonight it was lush (had the full box, meant for 2, and whole thing still under 500k - not fasting tonight, but thought what a good fasting dinner it would make)
17 Jul 2013, 19:06
I made it into fried rice and I did not really notice a difference. The real test is to make fried rice and feed my son. Actually son loves food and eats his vegetables with very little complain. Anything with egg in it he will love it.

Now I just need to figure out how to upload pictures on this forum
01 Oct 2013, 19:04
Thanks for the inspiration, I tried this tonight, fried the grated cauli with some turmeric and ginger spice, salt and pepper, and served with chicken curry. It was delicious!

Sue
01 Oct 2013, 19:33
Wow! I made courgette spaghetti today for the first time which was really tasty and filling. I'm definitely going to be adding these two to my repertoire. Thank you :)
01 Oct 2013, 20:01
these look amazing! will def try this out sometime. Thanks
04 Oct 2013, 07:19
New recipe I made yesterday, kedgeree with smoked haddock a hard boiled egg, and cauliflower and broccoli rice. Mixed some curry powder and a tiny bit of almond milk and salt into the grated cauli and broccoli mix, added a small fillet of cooked smoked haddock and cooked in microwave for 3-4 minutes. Boiled, peeled and chopped the egg and added. It was really filling, and delicious. About 200 cals.
47 posts Page 2 of 4