The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

47 posts Page 1 of 4
35 kcal cauliflower 'rice'
15 Feb 2013, 12:42
A great low cal, low carb alternative to rice!

Servings: 6
Serving Size: 1 cup

Ingredients

1 Head Cauliflower
Salt and Pepper
Optional: Olive oil if you want to saute it

Instructions

Roughly chop the cauliflower into smaller pieces.
Chop cauliflower in a food processor until it is broken into small “rice” like pieces.
Option 1: Place the desired serving size in a microwave safe dish and microwave for 1 to 3 minutes until it is at your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste and any other spices or flavouring.
Option 2: Add 1 tsp olive oil to a small pan. Add 1 diced shallot or 1/2 onion and saute until translucent. Add cauliflower rice and cook for 3-5 minutes until at your desired consistency. Add fresh herbs, spices, or other flavourings.

Nutritional Information: 35 calories, 0.3g of fat, 7.3g of carbohydrates, 3.5g of fiber, 2.8g of protein
Re: 35 kcal cauliflower 'rice'
16 Feb 2013, 12:24
Just bought a cauliflower so will give it a try on Monday fast day.
18 Feb 2013, 19:38
Me again. I tried the fried variety of this recipe with a little onion and pepper. I really enjoyed it and found it very filling - or is that just because I can't eat as much as I could? Thanks Caroline. :D
18 Feb 2013, 19:44
Yes, I had it tonight with a vegetable curry...feel stuffed now!
low cal "rice"
29 Mar 2013, 07:03
This is one I got from the Dukan Diet forum and use a lot even before starting this diet!

It's great as 1) it doesn't taste like cauliflower! 2) it looks like a lot of rice on your plate!

Take a cauliflower and grate it - either manually or in a blender.
Microwave for 9 minutes
serve with meal of choice!

cals = 46 for 200g (which is a LOT of "rice"!)
Re: low cal "rice"
29 Mar 2013, 19:51
I saw this post and it inspired me.

I googled cauliflower rice then tested which way I prefer by dry frying a small amount and microwaving another.

The dry fry has a concentrated cauliflower taste and is harder in texture. I microwaved it for maybe 1 -2 mins for the small amount. Cauliflower taste very mild and softer texture.

I preferred the microwave version so grated up my cauliflower in the food processor and microwaved it for 5 mins, stiring in the middle.

I then added it to a pan of mushrooms, petit pois and parsley and cooked for a minute or two before serving with a vegetarian goulash.

Was really good. Will definitely be using this again. Perfect for currys and other dishes.

Thanks for the inspiration.

My whole dinner was 278 cals. Perfect.
29 Mar 2013, 20:13
This sounds great thank you will give it a go on Monday
31 Mar 2013, 12:17
Do you have to add water to the cauliflower when you microwave it?
31 Mar 2013, 17:14
No, just cover the bowl.
31 Mar 2013, 17:25
I don't have a microwave so I can't do it but does it really not taste like cauliflower?
Cauliflower is one of the few things that I don't eat even if one pays me to...
31 Mar 2013, 18:04
It does taste a bit of cauliflower but ok if you're having it with something strong tasting like curry.
31 Mar 2013, 18:34
It's a great swap. I do like plenty of black pepper with mine.
31 Mar 2013, 18:46
Will do that tomorrow night...got one in the fridge
02 Apr 2013, 13:48
Cauliflower is a great dieters secret weapon! When I was flirting with the low-carb lifestyle I used to make cauliflower pizzas, where the bread base is replaced by a base from grated cauliflower like these:
http://talistomatoes.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... bases.html
They are actually delicious and really satisfy the pizza craving! I will have to do the maths and work out a 400cal portion size but I'm sure it would be easily acheivable
02 Apr 2013, 14:59
Oh my gosh! Why have I never heard of cauliflower pizza?! I'm so going to try this. If you could work out the portion size and calories that would be great. They look delish. :lol:
47 posts Page 1 of 4