The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

6 posts Page 1 of 1
3 weeks in and cold sores
09 Oct 2013, 05:44
Hi, I'm a "newbie" on 5:2, having just completed my third week. In the last week, I got a whopping great cold sore on my lip...last one I remember was about 9 years ago as a sleep-deprived mum with a newborn. Actually, it's more like 3 cold sores..in a row..argh!

My gut feeling is that it is related to fasting (too much of a coincidence). I've started on a multivitamin on non fast days and a course of probiotic to see if that helps with minimising a re-occurrence. Fingers crossed. Has anyone else who has the cold sore virus had this problem?
Re: 3 weeks in and cold sores
09 Oct 2013, 06:19
It might be related but it might be due to chance etc. I would suggest having a tube of aclovir or the generic equivalent to hand so if you do get the tingling you can halt the next one early on. I don't think it's as effective once the blisters have formed - the best thing is to speak to your pharmacist.

I got some odd looking ulcers on my tongue early on but they didn't come back.
09 Oct 2013, 06:44
Hi, I sometimes get cold sores, and they seem related to stress, either mental or physical (dehydration or sunburn). As a new faster, you may be a bit dehydrated? At any rate, I have found tea tree oil to be terrific for getting rid of them. Good luck!
09 Oct 2013, 07:01
I have no experience of cold sores, but I'd suggest you might reconsider these multivitamins. From the recent research I've heard about they're likely to do more harm than good. It's probably a safer option to focus on eating really nutritious food.
09 Oct 2013, 07:09
I agree with Michael, I think there's a good chance it is caused by the multivitamins, not the fast. A friend of mine had several cold sores in a row until she discovered the cause of it, a medicine she took. As soon as she stopped taking it, the cold sores stopped as well. Maybe you should try to stop them for a few days and see how it goes.

Also, I don't know if you can find it where you are but melissa water, put on it few times a day works great and it's a natural remedy.

Good luck !
10 Oct 2013, 06:52
I used to be plagued by cold sores. I would get them at the slightest stress. Stress being anything different than what I had been doing or eating.

My dentist noticed a cold sore and prescribed acyclovir 400 mg. You can get it in a salve or pill. I like the pill. I take it when I feel it coming and most times it is gone before it surfaces.

Oddly, I have not had a cold sore since I started 5:2. I am not a Dr, but cold sores are a herpes virus and once you have it it is always in your system. I suspect the stress of this change triggered it. Ask your Dr for acyclovir. It changed my life.

I found the other comments interesting. They might work for you. I had never heard of them. Every one is different so so what works for you.
6 posts Page 1 of 1