The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Normally I skip breakfast before going to the gym but I must say the 2-3km warm-up on the treadmill (@10km/hr) hasn't been easy lately. This morning I had a couple of slices of fruit bread about an hour before, as I wasn't planning to go to the gym but changed my mind as I had no other plans for the day. I had loads of energy and also enjoyed doing weights afterwards so I am pleased that I went. I did notice a difference in what I was able to lift and duration of my exercises.

At home I ate all kinds of food afterwards - orange juice, leftover cheesecake, coffee with milk, and a handful of nuts within the hour, bread with cheese and banana for lunch about three hours later and homemade pizza (no salad) for dinner. That was several hours ago and now feel terribly bloated and uncomfortable. I drank plenty of water but boy, do I regret that pizza!

I don't count anything other than my calorie intake on my fast day(s) but today was definitely higher than on average non-fast days. I wonder whether I am now so unaccustomed to eating (refined) carbs that I have become somewhat intolerant to carbs/gluten? I hope that's not the case as I love bread and pasta but do try to have it less often and in smaller quantities.
Hi,
I don't exercise like you do but I generally these days try to eat quite low carb (50-75g) and I have found that when I do eat more carbs than usual I too feel bloated and uncomfortably full quite quickly. Almost unwell really. I have also read that if someone generally eats lower carb (as in effect you will have been doing if you eat less refined carbs than before) then blood glucose in response to meals is more exaggerated - ie one's blood sugar will rise higher and take longer to get back to normal as (I suppose) the body has got used to a lower level of carbohydrate. I definitely don't feel great now when I overdo the carbs,
My intake used to consist two bowls of breakfast cereal followed by at least two slices of toast (I do love my breakfast!) and then various cakes and biscuits during the day, without absolutely no problems at all. I used to bloat a bit but I just assumed that was just my fat tummy so I didn't pay attention.

I gave up "white" wheat-based products last May, followed by their wholemeal versions last July - although I do sometimes still indulge in a very small (27g) wholemeal roll.

Like you, my body has adjusted and I just cannot seem to tolerate lots of wheat any more. My tummy gets distended and I get painful grips and gas build-up and have "rapid transit" and generally feel very uncomfortable. It's such a weird thing for me to get my head round because in less than a year, my body has learned to say "Yuck!" very forcefully, when it hadn't for fifty years before!

That said.... I'm sitting here watching my husband consume two jam doughnuts (I'm fasting) and I really, REALLY wish I could eat one.... but I know I'd suffer afterwards... physically AND mentally!

I'm a runner too and have tried eating and not-eating before I run and I can't honestly say it seems to make a huge difference to me either way, unfortunately. If I could guarantee I'd feel better eating first, I would. Every time.
Thanks @loversghost. I do feel unwell and can't get to sleep. It has been a long time since food has affected me this much. Good lesson I suppose. :frown:
4 posts Page 1 of 1