The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Noticing we don't need Rennies
14 Nov 2013, 17:15
We have been on the 5:2 since January. Having lost quite a few pounds and inches we no longer seem to be taking the heartburn lozenges. Anyone else notice this?
Yep - I used to have to take omeprazole daily for heartburn and reflux - stopped it months ago, just after starting this WOE. Not a coincidence I don't think,
:heart: Yes I'm exactly the same bought a large box just after starting this WOL and a weeks holiday looming :heart: :heart:
Not needed brilliant :clover: Sue. :clover:
Agree. I haven't had even one Tums in 6 months. Nor any gastric "kickback" of any foods that could irritate before.
Hadn't really thought about it but now you mention it!!
Yes, definitely not taking as many ranitidine as previously!
Definitely!

I have a hiatus hernia, and years ago a GP explained to me that excess weight drags it open and allows the bile out. Having lost and regained weight more than once, I can with absolute certainty state that there is a certain weight, almost to the lb, beyond which I suffer badly with acid reflux :(

On the plus side, having identified this, it's a major incentive to keep my weight below a certain level. I used to suffer very badly. Now, I only suffer if I drink too much white wine or eat pickled onion/gherkins etc.
Yup this was true for me also...until very recently,when due to weak will I have overeaten and have needed Gaviscon to ease the pain of heartburn
But when on the straight and narrow,the body lets me know it's happy by not punishing me with indigestion and heartburn! X
The total absence of heartburn/indigestion is one of the miracles of losing weight for me.

Ballerina x :heart:
I have the same experience as Winsome - there is a specific point on the scales above which I get heartburn pretty regularly and below which I don't. I first noticed this when I was pregnant and just thought it was pregnancy related. But in the intervening 25 years, as my weight has yoyoed, I've been able to predict with absolute certainty when those nasty acid feelings will reappear. Thankfully I am now well below the trigger point and hopefully with 5:2 will never see those days again!
Ballerina wrote: The total absence of heartburn/indigestion is one of the miracles of losing weight for me.

Ballerina x :heart:

Me too Ballerina even though I too have a hiatus hernia like @Winsome...at least I think it's still there!! I used to take Omeprazole, but only need it very, very occasionally now.
I have been on Pantoprazole for years - 40 mg a day and even 80mg at stressful times. I have reduced it to 20mg for last few months and have very few symptoms. I was thinking the other day I ought to try without. I'm a bit frightened because the chest pain I used to get was pretty horrendous and I don't want to risk it coming back.
12 posts Page 1 of 1