The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

My identical twin sister, who first told me about 5:2 back in August (2013), just had blood work done for the first time since starting this WOL. Nine months of this lifestyle and she has seen signficant improvements in her blood work. Here are a couple of items to consider:

She did not have to lose weight, as she was already at a very health BMI. In fact, she was skinny, if you ask me! So she embarked on this lifestyle not to lose weight, but to improve her health.

She started out doing 5:2 for about a month, eating two small meals (lunch and dinner). About three weeks in, she started doing a 24-hour fast, so she only ate at dinner time. After the first month, she switched to 6:1, with maybe one 16/8 a week thrown in.

She lost a bit of weight initially, but then put it back on and then some, as earlier this year, she started perimenopause. So she returned to 5:2. She is now at her target weight and is back on 6:1.

Nothing else changed in her life. She continued to exercise as much as she was before and she didn't cut carbs or anything else.

Here is what she told me (these are her words):

"I am very pleased to report amazing and astounding results of IF. I started this WOL in mid August. The week before I started, I got bloodwork done. I just got it done again, 9 months later. Keep in mind nothing else has changed in terms of diet, exercise, or lifestyle.

"My total cholesterol dropped from 233 to 215. My HDL (good cholesterol) increased from 74 to a whopping 87. My LDL (bad cholesterol) dropped to 128 from 139, now putting that from borderline high to near optimal. And my triglycerides dropped from 100 to 61 (and this is after I had had 2 beers the previous evening). This is truly remarkable!!"

OK, this is Melinda again. I would like to repeat: SHE IMPROVED HER HEALTH BY DOING ONE FAST A WEEK! Nothing else changed. And these are the results after nine months.

I am so looking forward to getting my blood work done, now (my health indicators were not as good as hers before starting 5:2 and I have lost 20 pounds. So I hope I will see the same sorts of results).
Two more items she had tested:

insulin, 6.7. Normal 3.0-25.0
cortisol, 5.5. Normal 4.3-22.4
That's great, I haven't had bloods done for about 5 yrs. but they were fine. Great news for all those seeking to improve their results. Thanks
Brilliant results tor your sister and a proof that 5:2 is way more than a weight loss regime. Carorees posted the morning about some research which demonstrated the health benefits of the eating window approach. So a good news day for intermittent fasting all round :like:
Hi Melinda,
My situation was very similar to your sister's in that I was after improved health rather than weight loss. I got bloods done 12 weeks after starting and found the following results (UK units):
- Blood pressure has dropped from around 142/85 to 120/78
- Blood sugar reduced from 4.5 to 4.1
- Total Cholesterol down from 5.5 to 4.0
- LDL down from 3.2 to 1.8
- Inflamation markers down from "normal" to "next to nothing"
- Resting pulse down from 62 to 54
- Chronic skin condition resolving
- Eye pressure (this is important to me!) 33% reduced
- I've not had a cold or minor ailment in 8 months so far
- Improved digestion
- Improved general eating habits and cravings

This was a while ago now so I could probably do an update now.
Alymoosh--Great results! Just curious: Do they test for inflammation as a general rule in the UK? In the US, you have to ask for it, and even then you might not get it because insurance doesn't like to pay for it!!! Grrrrr.

Also, I would like to echo what you said about no minor ailments or colds. I have experienced the same thing. I have not had a single cold since starting fasting 9 months ago. I had a period of one or two days in early April when the pollen was at its highest that I felt a bit "sinus-y," but nothing compared to years past.

Truly remarkable.
This is very encouraging isnt it folks! Thanks Melinda x
I so hope fasting helps stop dementia.. A new campaign has started over the last few days called Dementia Friends.. A Liverpool woman i know from my daughter's schooldays has started it..at 61 she is in early stages of dementia..uk members may see the advert on tv ..she sings With a Little Help from my Friends joined by several well known faces...typical of her,she is a clever lady and a great organiser and good at " getting things done" and is certainly raising awareness with her campaign
There is no doubt look at what we do, much less food, more plant foods, less carbs, better fats, less boxed pre manufactured packaged stuff and more made from scratch meals. Exercise, moving more etc.

Very heartening for all of us
Melinda - I think that inflamation markers are increasingly tested as part of the general checks when blood samples are taken in the UK. It depends a bit on your doctor and family history. There are some autoimmune disorders in my family so that may have contributed to their inclusion in my case.
Hi back at work now. Melinda great news for your twin. A colleague said to me they had noticed something with me since I d
started 5:2. My posture has improved and I am more active. The more I read about 5:2 and its affects on people , this really is the miracle we need for better health.
tenshi
10 posts Page 1 of 1