The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Oh Dear Constipation
28 Jan 2013, 20:38
Sorry not a nice subject but I remember last time I did 5/2 this was an occasional problem. Fluids, and fibre are the answer I suppose but does everything settle down again once your body adjusts to a new regime ?
Re: Oh Dear Constipation
28 Jan 2013, 20:41
Really up your fluids (especially on a fast day) and yes, eat more fibre during your feast/fast days - that's what i would recommend anyway. I usually add wheatbran to food and chickpeas to stews... Lentils, baked beans, wholewheat pasta and seeded breads... that kind of thing helps :-)
29 Jan 2013, 06:47
100g of celery is 14 calories and 1.6g of fibre. 40g of All Bran is 134 calories and 11g of fibre. Also, there are products like Fibresure that are pretty much pure fibre that you stir into water to drink. Not sure how many calories it has but can't imagine it's many.
29 Jan 2013, 08:47
Swear by dried apricots! Lovely and scrummy and soft and sweet- like a sweetie and I believe 3 has 50 calls (please, please let that be correct)
29 Jan 2013, 10:25
I once did the Cambridge Diet and suffered horribly with constipation! If it seems to be a regular problem for you try using dulcoease. Not Dulcolax. Dulcoease is a stool softener not laxative and I found it really helped. I think you can take a few every day, but once I managed to actually go, just taking one a day really made things easier for me.

Hope you get sorted, its a really awful feeling :( If you are already "bunged up", you might need to actually clear that up first as fibre won't help that. You can buy suppositries (sorry for bad spelling) from even a supermarket that are supposed to be very good (as long as you are not going out anywhere!) and then up your fibre and water and take a stool softener if needed. Everyone is different but they worked perfectly for me.
5 posts Page 1 of 1