The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Migraine and IF
19 Apr 2013, 11:11
Hello there,

I am wondering if anyone knows of any research about the effect of IF on migraine sufferers?
I am new to IF and have been symptom free since starting :victory: . I also followed Lighter Life's programme (VLCD) for 3 months in 2005 and was migraine free during that time too....of course they came back after I finished the programme. The only other time I have been migraine free is during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.

So thumbs up for good health and I'm kind of hoping that someone may know of some evidence... :geek: Grateful for any light that anyone can shed.

Kelly
Re: Migraine and IF
19 Apr 2013, 12:41
Don't know of any evidence yet but this is a subject close to my heart as I have been a migraine sufferer since I was 9 (now 59!) I am on the bad end of the scale and been hospitalised twice during two horrendous attacks and I'm on a lot of meds to try and stop them. I have to say that one of my main worries of this WOE was seeing if I could miss a meal (fast) without going into one as that is one of my main triggers. Oddly enough it hasn't happened yet, but I can't let it go to late before I have my one meal of 500cals, I am still playing around with it at the moment. But I'm of the mindset that I'm not going to let it beat me, it may be that I might have to split the 500cals between two or three small meals, the jury is still out at the moment. Do let me know how you get on, if we Pool our info, we may come up with a plan!!! Toni x
25 Apr 2013, 10:41
Hi Toni,

I'm afraid my little theory (wishful thinking) may have just been blown out of the water! I have just spent 36 hours in bed with a horrible migraine. To add insult to injury, I weighed myself this morning and there was no weight loss (2 days consecutive fast)... oh well!
How are you getting on? Well,I hope.
25 Apr 2013, 11:17
Hey Kellym25, I am so sorry about the migraine. I used to suffer from them but since I hit my forties they have diminished. I expect they were hormone related. I am wondering if your consecutive day fasts were he trigger. Moseley says non- consecutive days.
Why not try 16 hour fasts. That means you really only miss one meal. I think you still get benefits from this.
12 Aug 2013, 14:48
Hi Caro,
Thanks for your message. I like 16:8, it works really well when you are on holiday or when you have lots of visitors and it isn't convenient / socially easy to do 5:2. I don't do it everyday though as I think it requires a lot of discipline compared to 5:2 or even 4:3...they suit my lifestyle very nicely.

I fasted for 2 consecutive days as referred to in my last post only because I was too ill to eat when I had that monster migraine. That was a few months ago now and I'm glad to say that I have been good for a few months in the old heads department.

I am in my 40s, like yourself and hoping that my migraines diminish soon xx
5 posts Page 1 of 1