The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

24 posts Page 1 of 2
Taking a break
19 May 2013, 09:37
I am going into early maintenance or consolidation mode for a while until I start sleeping better. I am so thrilled by the amount of weight I have lost that although I still have a stone and a half to lose, I will be happy to coast along for a while at my new weight whilst I hopefully crack the sleep problem on 6.1. I also think it will give me a chance to tone up my bod with an exercise routine. I think my body is not so supple and elastic as it was a few years ago so I would like to incorporate more muscle building exercise and come back to 5.2 for the next long stretch (sorry, making it sound like a life sentence! :lol: )in a few weeks time. I have so much faith in the 5.2 wol and know it works that I am confident that even if I do put on a bit of weight doing this "intervention", it will give my body a chance to get used to my new weight and to tone up. Any exercise tips would be appreciated, especially light to moderate, nothing wildly strenuous!
Re: Taking a break
19 May 2013, 09:51
Good luck with your new plan. I hope it works out for you. My tip for a light/moderate exercise is to invest in a pedometer and start walking more. I got a fitbit which does a bit more than just count steps but is a bit expensive, you could get a cheaper one though.

See what your daily steps are and then try to increase them as much as possible. It worked for me before I started 5:2 and it continues to help now :)
19 May 2013, 09:59
Good morning Dhana,

This all sounds like a very sensible plan to me, only you know how your body is doing and if you think it is due a rest then that is exactly what it will be, a little holiday! A bod hol :lol:

My sleep has been a nightmare now for years so I cannot blame it on 5:2, 6:1 or 16/8 but if yours has been disrupted then it makes sense to address that.

Keep posting, we all love to hear each of us are getting on and you may be able to help others with a solution to this ubiquitous problem, good luck and good sleeping, :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

Ballerina x :heart:
19 May 2013, 11:16
Think your intervention is a good plan.
This last month I've not lost any weight, been pigging out on my 5 days for some unknown reason, but now think it might be my body trying to stabilise (lost 1 & 1/2 st before starting 5:2) & have just realised my jiggly bits aren't quite as bad. Post menopause bat wings a big problem....the other bits I'm happy to hide....as she roles up her apron & stuffs it in her magic knickers!

If you can find a Tia Chi class near you that's fun & at the time you don't really feel like its exercise as its slow gentle movements, there are plenty of DVDs you can get on amazon but its easier with an instructor .

Good luck, hope you get the sleep problem sorted.
19 May 2013, 13:20
Good luck with your break it sounds like a good plan. I hope you won't be taking a break from the forum though! Please post about how you are getting on. Personally I am getting a bit stuck, plateau? At the moment I'm going to keep plugging away but I had considered maintaining for 4/6 weeks then start 5:2ing again to start the second half of weight loss.

On the exercise front I love my pilates class - I am really flexible now (I can touch my toes with the palms of my hands) and it really hurts if you are doing it properly. I also enjoy trying to get out for a one hour walk at least twice a week, even in the rain.
19 May 2013, 13:38
I love to Couch to 5K training program, its a very constructive way to get into jogging/running, and I now love doing exercise outside, and on my own. It really gives me a feel-good factor.
19 May 2013, 14:03
There is Tai Chi and Pilates (I think) here locally, and I quite fancy trying both. Walking is great but without my dog I have to force myself,(and I do!). Wildmissus, giggling about staying away from the forum, I wish I could - thank God it's not online gambling or bingo, I would lose a fortune, because I'm an addict! :lol: Hoping not to put the weight back on, but even if some goes on I now know I can get it off! I want to see if it is the 5.2 that is the root cause of my insomnia, I remember posting about it in one of my early posts, and tbh I have never had a problem with sleeping before I started. Will post if it improves with 6.1. Couch to 5k sounds a bit ambitious for me at the moment, but maybe in the future :?:
19 May 2013, 16:30
As long as its not a break from the forum then it's alright by me :lol:
I'm getting addicted too so I know how you feel.
Sounds like a sensible plan to me - this WOL is all about listening to your body & thats what you're doing so :like: from me.
19 May 2013, 17:24
Good luck dhanna, hope your sleep improves. Mine is getting worse I think but still manageable. Wake very early every day (very out of character!) I have enjoyed your posts so keep posting it will be another angle to this very interesting experiment we are all involved in....
19 May 2013, 18:00
Dhana, I know how you feel about the forum, I have no reason to still be prattling on here but I just love it. So good to know we will still be reading your posts. By the way, someone told me recently that Montmorency cherry juice raises one's melatonin (or something similar) levels which in turn allows one to have a good nights sleep, might be worth a try.

Ballerina x :heart:
19 May 2013, 18:05
Ginty wrote: have just realised my jiggly bits aren't quite as bad. Post menopause bat wings a big problem....the other bits I'm happy to hide....as she roles up her apron & stuffs it in her magic knickers.

Thank you Ginty, had me in stitches!!

Dhana, you gotta listen to your body. As long as you're not having break from the forum that's fine :)
19 May 2013, 18:05
Ginty wrote: have just realised my jiggly bits aren't quite as bad. Post menopause bat wings a big problem....the other bits I'm happy to hide....as she roles up her apron & stuffs it in her magic knickers.

Thank you Ginty, had me in stitches!!

Dhana, you gotta listen to your body. As long as you're not having break from the forum that's fine :)
19 May 2013, 18:18
I'm with you Dhana, this is the first forum I've every joined and it is probably more a part of my life now than 5:2.

Ballerina, you are as worthy as anyone to be on the forum. Your experience and support is valued by me and many more.
19 May 2013, 18:59
Please keep us posted on how you get on. Today I have passed the 1.5 stones lost. I don't want to get to that point where I look ill/old because I have lost too much weight. I did think there might be a point when I took a break for my body to catch up to prevent it happening, then carrying on to reach my goal weight. At the moment I am half way to my goal of losing 3 stone if I still look OK.
Good luck with your journey.
Lesley
27 May 2013, 22:51
Good luck Dhana, you have done amazingly well with your weight loss to date and am sure you will continue after your break. I do hope your sleep pattern improves, do keep us posted.
I know it's not so popular now but I love line dancing, it's great exercise, you don't need a partner, it's not expensive and I love the music.....oh also good for the memory.....nearly forgot!!!!! :grin:

Take care and good luck. Xx :smile:
24 posts Page 1 of 2