The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all, I've just finished my first week of ADF - find it all relatively easy and have lost 5lbs this week! HOWEVER....first thing after a fast day I have an 'upset stomach' (the most polite way of putting it), and also a mild but constant headache. Just wondering if anyone else with similar symptoms has found these effects tapering off after a period of time.....??
Hi, lharding26, and welcome :smile:

I've also just finished my first week of nearly ADF - actually 4:3 liquid fasts. I'm used to 5:2 with 500 kcal, where I did not suffer any of the negative side effects you mention, but after 4:3ing for a week I have had loose stools and a mild but persistent headache.

Thinking back, I had a bit of mild head fuzziness and some restlessness in the body after my first 5:2 fast, and this feels similar only more intense, if that makes sense. I have a strong feeling these symptoms will pass as I get more used to liquid fasts and learn how to eat when I break my fasts.

But I hope someone who's been ADF or 4:3ing for longer will chime in.
I have the headaches the day after a fast but I am only doing the 5:2. I hope it will get better with time and as the body gets used to it.

Thought I was the only one with a headache the morning following a fast, so I have to say that I am a little bit relieved to hear this is happening to others as well. Sorry I know that doesn't help you
HI there

I often have headaches the day after - I think it's because I probably don't drink enough fluids through the day. We get a lot of fluid from our food and if we're not eating we need to make sure we compensate by drinking more.I had a stonking headache this saturday and realised how little I drank on friday as I was walking around town quite a lot of the day and it was very humid so should have had even more than usual. I'm no scientist but perhaps decreased salt and caffeine consumption on fast days can lead to headaches, too?

I haven't had problems with an upset stomach but I do have to say that some of the negative aspects I noticed at the start are now beginning to get better. I find it much easier to go through until my evening meal without eating anything which I could never have done at the start. My tummy will rumble in the morning but once it realises it's getting nowt for a long while, it tends to give in and shut up. I am feeling a lot better in myself too - when I started, I would feel very drained, tired and 'off' on fast days and now I feel largely normal, maybe just a bit spaced out at times. My appetite has regulated itself better and I don't feel as ravenously hungry once I start eating again as I did.

I was hoping that fasting would help my hormomal acne - it's not a huge problem but I always seem to have one or two spots on the go - but after 7 weeks there's been no improvement. It may not be helped by the increased amounts of chocolate I eat (more so than before starting 5:2!) and the alcohol I tend to consume at weekends, but we'll see what the fulness of time brings.

So I think it's fair to say your body does get used to it and will adjust accordingly - I'm not doing ADF, just plain ol' 5:2 but I'm sure it's the same for both fasting styles.
Thanks everyone...just finished my second week and whilst side effects haven't settled completely they are definitely not as bad as last week so that's something.

Definitely good to know it gets easier x
5 posts Page 1 of 1