The FastDay Forum

Benefits & Side Effects

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Sleepy Afternoons
27 Jun 2013, 18:39
I am curious if anyone else experiences sleepiness on fast day afternoons. I fast on Mondays and Thursdays (both work days) and I consume all 500 of my calories in my dinner after work (except the 14 calories in my morning vitamins), so I am "running on empty" all day at work. I've noticed a trend that by about 2:00 pm I am really really tired. Not weak or lethargic, just SLEEPY like I could lay my head on my desk and be asleep within seconds.

I have resorted to drinking a half bottle of Extra Strength 5 Hour Energy a couple of times now through my 14 fast days I've had so far. Today was one of those days. Do you guys have 5 Hour Energy in the UK? If not, I am sorry for you, it is amazing though I try to use it very sparingly.
Re: Sleepy Afternoons
27 Jun 2013, 18:49
We have Red Bull, which has a lot of caffeine.
27 Jun 2013, 18:55
I did get really sleepy on one of my fast days last week and I generally felt yucky, I thought it was because I was sat at home and being lazy but I didnt have the energy to move , today I have been fine,I think mine was a one off well I hope so
27 Jun 2013, 19:01
dhana wrote: We have Red Bull, which has a lot of caffeine.

Not really the same thing at all. 5 Hour Energy is a "shot". It's only two ounces and only has the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee. It's distinction is that it has a LOT of vitamin B. 2000% of the RDA of B6, and 8333% of the RDA of B12.

You can see the full nutritional label here:
http://www.5hourenergy.com/healthfacts.asp?Product=extra
27 Jun 2013, 19:02
I don't get sleepy on fast days. I get sleepy after every meal, doesn't matter what I eat, it can be salad with only lettuce, spinich, onion, cucumber and a few grape tomatoes or it can be heavy protein/carbs. Once my tummy is full I get sleepy. I think being the 8th child, I was fed and put down to nap to get me out of the way for a bit and it's stuck with me ever since, lol.
27 Jun 2013, 19:06
Sounds scary - always think when any supplement has so much over the rda it's probably best avoided!
27 Jun 2013, 19:24
dhana wrote: Sounds scary - always think when any supplement has so much over the rda it's probably best avoided!

That's exactly why I only use it sparingly and when I do I only drink 1/2 a bottle.
27 Jun 2013, 19:33
Ahh got it - only 4000% over then :curse:
27 Jun 2013, 19:58
I often feel tired on fast day afternoons, I find going outside for a bit of exercise at lunchtime gives me a bit of a boost and means that I don't get the mid-afternoon slump!
27 Jun 2013, 20:13
I have the opposite - more alert on fat days. It is normal eating days that I feel sleepy after lunch. It shows that we are all different and react to this WOE in different ways
28 Jun 2013, 23:50
I find the less I do the less I want to do, also on quiet days I struggle with hunger far more than on busy exercise filled days. If I eat too many carbs I definitely get lethargic . Have I learned from this over the last 60plus years ? No I have not, I am ever hopeful that one day my body will convince my subcontious (spelling) that I am better without sugar and white flour. Until then I will battle on.
11 posts Page 1 of 1